Looking for a GPS

schwabdog

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a compact GPS unit, not sure what I should get (haven't found what I want)
Looking for something that has topographical maps and detailed terrain,
Max spending $$ 350
Thanks..

I'g get the Garmin Legend HCx from Amazon.com for around $150 like I did and if you plan on hunting over here in the states you can still buy one or two state SD chips for it and stay below your budget. If you have no plans to come here, then go up to a fancier one, but stay with Garmin as I think they make the best GPS units.

I bought a Garmin 450 this summer and I like it ALOT more than my old Lowrance. Cabellas had 'em on sale for a while last month.

Using the Garmin 62S here. A little more than your budgeted expense,but Ive never been this happy with a gps. LOOONG battery life. Ease of opperation. I added a colorado micro SD card with detailed topo and color coded boundries including management units. If you can swing it,that would be my recommendation.

Using the Garmin 62S here. A little more than your budgeted expense,but Ive never been this happy with a gps. LOOONG battery life. Ease of opperation. I added a colorado micro SD card with detailed topo and color coded boundries including management units. If you can swing it,that would be my recommendation.

I am looking at the garmin 62st! I played with one at cabelas this week! Very nice. That's on my list of items to acquire!

I have a Garmin Oregon 400T ( the T stands for topo map that comes preloaded ) and I love it! They can be had online new for your price range. I bought a land ownership SD card from the store on this forum, and it is awesome!!!! Very easy to use and it's touchscreen.

Be sure to handle several models before making up your mind. I went to Gander Mountain with my mind set on an Oregon. My b-in-law has one and I figured I needed one like his. The price was right too. After handling it and navigating the screen for a while in the store,I wasn't comfortable with it. The screen had to be touched slightly off the icons to get them to function. Maybe not a big deal but it kinda bugged me. I wasn't positive I could navigate it with cold hands either. I was bummed as I arranged the funds for a new GPS and was leaving for Colorado in a month. I took a look at a couple other similarly priced units to no avail. Then the clerk handed me the GPS Map. I figured he was just milking me for another $100 to help with the commission,lol. I have to admit,it's a BIG unit. It is a little hard to accomodate in a pocket. But, I can opperate the buttons with ease. The screen is of ample size and daylight visible. My old Garmin is a real pain in bright sunlight. I spent the week in the mountains using it almost constantly and never changed batteries. The brother-in-law changed his once mid week. A big deal? probably not,but I don't like having to fiddle with stuff like that while hunting. That's why I went to all led lights. Surefire and Streamlight. Batteries last forever in these lights.
With the addition of the mini SD card for Colorado,the unit I selected ended up being just shy of $500. The SD card wasn't necessary just something I wanted to try. I would recommend one to anyone that can justify the $100 cost.

Thanks every one for your in put, I made my mind up and Broke the bank and I bought the MONTANA 650T GARMIN and love it. I was a bit disappointed after spending $$670+ and now have to spend another heap of $$$ on maps, other than that it's not too bad. And might do a revue of it in the feature….

I have a GPSmap 76CX and I love it. I think it's been discontinued now, but it's a color model with decent battery life and more than enough features for me. I have a cradle on my motorcycle that it fits into and it never gives me issues. I can and do operate with gloves on while riding. It's saved my tail a few times when I went for a spirited ride and found myself on reserve far sooner than I thought I would.

Download Garmin's basecamp from their website, and then check out this website:

GPSFileDepot - All U.S. Garmin Compatible Maps

You can install those maps under basecamp on your unit. I have been using all the colorado topo2011, wyoming, and utah maps. There are lots of free maps out there. Also, you can import custom maps on those systems (like a forest service road map).

Does anyone know of a program that interfaces with a GPS whereas I could down load GPS locations to a computer and have it create a map for me?

I bought an 83 acre property, with hills and valleys and surveys cost about $8,000 here in ny to get a new survey. I want to walk the previous survey done a few years ago and re stake my property and have a record of it in GPS format. I don't know if I will ever get another survey done, but it's important to record this information for my knowledge and my kids someday.

Thanks,
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts