Phone as a GPS

So I have a Garmin GPS. Works OK, but it is bulky. Since I am carrying a phone (Android) anyhow, can it be used to mark waypoints and do track backs? I see some programs offered. Some free, some not. Any experience with these programs, and would I even need a special program beyond Google Maps? Thanks in advance for your expertise!
I use my phone with Gaia and it's been much better than a dedicated gps for me. Can mark waypoints, download offline maps, etc

I used to be solely in the camp that you needed to carry a GPS. But after many years, I have no switched and won't look back to using my phone as the GPS. I use Gaia GPS. I also carry a 5000 Mah battery with me because your phone will go through power much faster than the GPS

What I find horrible about using GPS is the tiny screen. My Iphone screen is around 2 to 3x bigger than my GPS screen. It's really tough to see detail and only a tiny area at a time on a dinky screen. I can see where a small Ipad would be idea for using in a truck and something a tad smaller in the field. I'm shocked that none of the GPS companies have come out with something like this?

What I find horrible about using GPS is the tiny screen. My Iphone screen is around 2 to 3x bigger than my GPS screen. It's really tough to see detail and only a tiny area at a time on a dinky screen. I can see where a small Ipad would be idea for using in a truck and something a tad smaller in the field. I'm shocked that none of the GPS companies have come out with something like this?
I still prefer my phone, but I think the Garmin Montana might be what you're looking for?

I mostly use my phone as my GPS. With that being said, if I'm going deep into the woods, with the potential to be lost, and zero cell reception, I always take my dedicated handheld Garmin as a backup. It's been worth having several times

I don't want to pay for specialized maps covering US territory — since I hunt outside the US..... 👍🏼

So, what map devices do you recommend for hunting outside the US?
I am favoring cellphone based apps, rather than buying a separate device.

Thanks, 😊

Matthias

Recent Posts