Use a grain mill to make your own tumbling media.

orkan

Some of you may know that I've been using rice to tumble my brass with fantastic success for many years. The article on that is found here: http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice

The only issue I've run into is that the rice is often too large and gets stuck in .17 and .20 caliber case necks. The cases pack with rice but it's ultra-difficult to get out.

I've solved this problem by getting a grain mill and running a coarse grinding op on a batch of rice. This single batch of ground rice will be good for many thousands of cases! You could use this same process to make your own custom media out of nearly anything compatible with your grain mill.

Do you add any type of cleaner or polish to the rice?
Nope. Just as it is.

It collects and absorbs carbon and lube. If you're the kind of guy that likes sparkly... you can run it overnight. I have no issues shooting it after 30mins in the rice, but I tend to let it go for a couple hours most often.

Would a grain mill crush the pecan shells?
I'm sure the right one would. Some are pretty robust! This komo unit I'm running rotates two stones together to get the grinding done I think. You could smash them up into manageable bits that fit into the grain mill spout. After that, it should eat most anything, or at least some model should.

Some of you may know that I've been using rice to tumble my brass with fantastic success for many years. The article on that is found here: http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice

The only issue I've run into is that the rice is often too large and gets stuck in .17 and .20 caliber case necks. The cases pack with rice but it's ultra-difficult to get out.

I've solved this problem by getting a grain mill and running a coarse grinding op on a batch of rice. This single batch of ground rice will be good for many thousands of cases! You could use this same process to make your own custom media out of nearly anything compatible with your grain mill.

Thanks for this. Utterly a👍👍

I have thought about finding some way of crushing Black Walnut shells small enough, For first cycle of cleaning range found cases.
I gather and crack Black Walnuts for my children, grand children every year before Christmas, Candy and cookie making. Had 2 five gallon buckets of shells after cracking 36 cups of goodies.
Now I just use some of them on my steps when the ice builds up.

I have thought about finding some way of crushing Black Walnut shells small enough, For first cycle of cleaning range found cases.
I gather and crack Black Walnuts for my children, grand children every year before Christmas, Candy and cookie making. Had 2 five gallon buckets of shells after cracking 36 cups of goodies.
Do you wear gloves or just let the black "wear off"?

I have purchased walnut shells for polishing brass somewhere Maybe from Dillon. I think they added a rouge. if you have stuff why not sounds like a great idea. The rice sounds great as well. Brown rice or Thai Jasmine.