US 869 Lot to Lot differences

royinidaho

I purchased a 1lb can of US 869 as a start for my 270 AM. The store had that 1lb can plus 2 8 pounders. I figured I start small and work up in canister size.

The one pounder stuff shot great. Good velocity and super accuracy. I burned that up pretty quick.

Bought the 8# canister that had a lot number tag on it. I did a dumb thing and wiped off the lot number of the 1 LB can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The two lots sure are different. I'm using as much as 3 grains less powder to get the same velocities as the 1# lot.

SDs and ESs are all over the place and the **** stuff stinks when you shoot it. I do my load development shooting through a three plastic barrel silencer gizmo which confines the muzzle blast. I stuck my nose in the smoke leaking out and the ammonia smell about knocked me down. What's with this?

Also at the range the smoke after the shot goes about 15-20' on either side. The design of the brake is really apparent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That is dissapointing. I just got done playing with a 1# can and was about to buy a 8# can. 3 grains is more than I want to adjust unless it is more as I have a hard enough time trying to fill the case safely without being too hot. 869 was showing sighns of promise. Almost full cases, decent velocity and decent accuracy. I think Rl-25 is still going to be my go to powder.

That is really too bad, it looks like the lot in the one pound cans was showing promise for the .338 edge too. If anyone hears any more about this please keep us all posted, I have a new 1# can and will post my results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess i got lucky, i went with the 8# jug to start with. But in the 338 Snipe-Tac rifle shooting 140+ grains it won't last long either. In the huge case capacity rifles i like the WC872 much better. The BMG-50 works very good as well, little hotter. This is with the 300gr MK bullet.

Dave

BD,

I'll wait for your experience when you change lots, if you do.

I'm shooting both a 338 RUM w/99grs and 300 SMKS and the 270AM w/a little less powder.

Some canisters don't have the lot number on them. My 1# can did but in trying to determine if it was or wasn't a lot number I rubbed it with my thumb before I wrote it down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The last number was a 43 which is the last number on the 8#'r I got but they sure seem different.

The lot #s on the 1# cans used to be on bright yellow sticky tabs. Kinda like price tags. They were bad about falling off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Look on the part of the label where it says "CAUTION".

Halfway down along the extreme left edge are some vertical numbers
They might be "1112305" followed by "43"
or "1020706" followed by "43"

It is hard to remember what all I remember. If I knew everything I knew I would be a genuis.

Based upon this old thread

I would guess that the first row of numbers is the canister size and bottling date and the "43" is the lot number

Roy,

Sounds like you got a bad lot of powder, I would call Hodgdon and see if they would exchange it. one lb of bad powder is not a big deal, 8 lbs is a real big deal!!!

I have been using US869 alot in my 7mm AM and 338 AM. I load 102 gr in my light 7mm AM and 105 gr in my heavy under the 200 gr ULD RBBT. In my 338 AM my light load is 140 gr under the 300 gr SMK. I have loaded up to 150 grains however but that is pretty warm.

I am also using it in my 510 AM for early testing and so far 255 grains under the 750 gr bullet seems about right. That burns up powder in a hurry!!!

I have burned up three of the four 8 lb kegs I have bought so far and never experienced anything like you are seeing.

I would get ahold of Hodgdon and see what they say. If there is a bad lot of powder out there, it will help them as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: US 869 Lot to Lot differences - Hey Kirby

Kirby,

Stick you nose in one or all of those 8#'ers. Mine has a real heavy finger nail polish smell. The 1# can still has 155grs in it and it doesn't smell at all.

Roy,

Not to butt in but I would describe my 869 8# to have the smell you describe. Lot # 8021006 43.

jmden,

Seeing as we both have the same lot number and the same smell which is different than Kirby's which has no smell. Mine is distinctly way more pungent than any of the Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR and Win powders that I have.

How does yours shoot?

I think I'll talk to the Hodgon boys tomorrow.

I've been pretty happy with it. I'm consistenly sub MOA with the 200AB and 109g. Quite a few sub 1/2 MOA groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.