US 869 & 338 RUM

royinidaho

Started with 96gr and worked up to 101grains. No pressure problems encountered. Easy extraction in w/all weights.

I let the rifing determine COL (Just touching)

The last 101 grain load went 2732 FPS.

I loaded 3 for a group attempt. I had only 2 cases that were the same as the load string I shot. 1 Case had to be neck sized.

Shots went 2732/2732/2715. First two shots were touching. The slower resized differently one went about 1.2" south east.

Looked promising: Had to neck size 3 more.

They went 2715/2117/2712. Group strung up and down but hey, could very well have been me.

The reason for the post is that I have NEVER achieved SDs and ESs like this in either Win Mag or RUM.

When the difference between case treatments is that distinct something has been done right.

2700 is enough for me w/the 300 SMK. Shooting prone may take some concentration the first couple of times. Guess I'm a wimp. Recoil is about like an 06 with 150s at 3000 or so in an 8 lb rifle.. Maybe I need a Carlock 4 holer instead of a Holland 3 holer.

Looking forward to great things from US 869.

I think they ran out of 870 or quit making it.

869 is a different powder formulated to duplicate 870.

At least that's what I heard......Hence the number close to 870

Roy, are you close to or at full density loads with 869? how does velocity compare with other powders? can you ship me an 8 lb keg for free?

Roy, are you close to or at full density loads with 869?

There's room for a grain or two more. Powder it just touching the base of the bullet with a bit of room around the bullet for more.

I'm using REM cases. There is no extraction or bolt lift resistance but the darn primer pockets seem to be loosening.

how does velocity compare with other powders?

Not having tested any lesser weight bullets with the 869, the 300gr SMK was the only one that achieved the anticipated velocity in my rifle. The max vel w/RL-25 & 7828 was 3000+. Same for the 250 weights (SMK, 2600s & Hornady Match)

Hodgon says 101gr gets 2595 w/the SMK so with the primer slight loosening I' about at the top.

can you ship me an 8 lb keg for free?

Now who's humor is....... The fact is, I bought the only 1LB can in this end of the state and there is no more, yet.

i can't remember, did you rechamber the rem barrel or get a good one for it? how long is it?,

as far as the number of holes i like the 3 holers!!

Dave,

The barrel is a REM 700 sporter chrome Molly 26" most probably off of a BDL

Bill,

What kind of hoops do ya have to jump through to get powder from the Yukon to Idaho?

I'll be shooting 869 in both the 338 and 270 and at 100gr per pop in both it pencils out pretty badly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I conversed w/a coupla of buddies, not ya'll, that are shooting a 7 and 270AM and went through 16 pounds of 872 last year.

Ought to buy stock in powder and toilet tissue companies. Two must haves and would be a steady income. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No hoops to jump through. Just pick up the phone and dial 800-522-3314. There is a $20 hazmat fee, but if a guy orders enough, it offsets this a little.

I think we can do 4 8# on one hazmat. I'd bet you won't find it any cheaper anywhere else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.