338 RUM Encore malfunction

Says somthing about having to log in ?

whats the problem other than thats to big of a case for that gun

Sorry guy's. I can't seem's to transfer the picture here. I'll keep trying. Anyway, it's a picture of an Encore, chambered for 338 RUM, that blew up. The barrel is an after market, not TC made. According to the shooter, the barrel is fluted a little deeper and didn't have enough meat to handle the pressure of the RUM. The picture is really dramatic. Luckily, the shooter was not hurt. The action also survived and he still shooting it wearing a new barrel, less flute of course.

I can't see the picture, but isn't it customary to start the
flutes in front of the chamber? If so, I doubt the flutes being the problem. We have had other threads stating not to chamber the larger diameter RUM's in the Encore. The Encore
was introduced before the RUM came out & I think TC would have made the frame bigger if the Encore had been introduced after the RUM's were. I do know that TC WILL NOT chamber a RUM at all. If I am not mistaken I believe that Kirby stated in the past that even with the belted mag. dia., the Encore won't provide the best accuracy. I had looked at buying a Pro-Hunter 28" tube in 7RM & re-chambering to 7STW before I heard that. Now I may
buy a 7-08 28" Pro-Hunter barrel for my Encore & have it rechambered to 280AI, if I can believe I can make it shoot like one of my bolt guns, which I doubt.

The Encore barrel diamater is 1" at max and the RUM case is .550" at max. Now with black powder guns its a basic rule of thumb that you chamber wall should be at a minimum of 50% of the bore diameter at the chamber, for instance if you have a 50 cal you barrel should have at least 1/4" walls and thats for a black bowder gun thats pressure is about half that of a modern cased round.
I have seen several Encores chambered for RUM and WSM round that the chamber area had grown to the point that the barrel would not lockup. This is most often seen where the owner had a custom SS barrel and they were trying to get the book listed velocities out of it.

Nomosendero , the Encore can be made to shoot in the .2's like any bolt gun their are some little things that need to be done. if your wanting a faster 7mm then get the 28" barrel in 7-08 and have it rechambered correctly to 7mm Rem mag , the hinge pin fitter to the frame and both reamed for proper fit , the trigger worked and the forend bedded.
I've got a few barrels that will shoot well under 1/2 moa consistantly and one of those is a 300 Win mag with factory ammo

Actually, the barrel that blew up was made by Matchgrade Machining. Looking at the picture, the barrel peeled-off from the chamber towards the muzzle. The flute has nothing to do with the barrel failure.

Finally, thanks to my daughter. Here we go guys:

Rifle1.jpg

post-670-1175137112_thumb.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts