HS Precision 338 RUM

RDM416

My HS Precision 338 RUM finally arrived via Fed-X last Sat!! I first tried Swift 210grn Scirocco's pushed by IMR7828. The results were OK but nothing to get excited about.

I switched to Barnes TXS 210grn and RL22. As advertised, I am now getting 1/2" groups at 100yds and well under sub-moa groups out to 700yds! My long range groups are in the 1/2 moa range except for two slight fliers. I think both are the result of the barrel heating up as they were both the 3rd shots of three shot groups. Of course it could have just been my shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I began to let the barrel cool longer before my third shot on the remaining groups and the problem went away. I will have to test this out a little more another time. The barrel is pretty lightweight and heats up very quickly.

I did have a problem on the first trip to the range with the safety. It stuck in the off position. After working with it for a bit I decided that if I was going to have to send it back, I would send it back really broke. I pulled on the safety real hard and it finaly moved back to the safe position. I flipped it back and forth several times with no prolems, and have continued to use the rifle and work the safety on and off with no further problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Being a big believer of bedding a stock, I was a little dissapointed the stock was not bedded. (I Know HS maintains that their stocks don't need it) An evening in the shop took care of that little issue though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All in all I am very pleased with the rifle and would reccomend HS to anyone. These rifles are not cheap, but 1/2 moa right out of the box is pretty darn good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RDM416,

Do you plan on using bullets any larger than 210gr maybe like 250s or so?

Am interested in what the 338 RUM can do with a bit heavier bullet.

Sounds like a great rifle. Keep us posted.

Roy,
Yeah, I plan on trying some 225s and 250s in it. I am leaving tommorrow for Alaska on a sheep hunt with the rifle. I only had a week to work with it, so when I found a load it shot well I stuck with it. HS tested it with 225 match kings. The test target they sent with the rifle was pretty impressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.