.223 or 5.56 Differences, which to purchase?

I am considering purchasing a new rifle ( for me ). It will be a bolt gun and I need to know from experienced shooters which way to go chambering wise. I have heard that the 5.56 is better because most rounds will chamber in it while the .223 is not as forgiving. All input is wanted pro or con. This will probably be a longer distance varmint rifle for back on the grasslands of the midwest.
Any recommendations on specific rifles are also welcome however I am planning an "off the shelf " purchase and will not , at this time, be building a rifle.
Thanks
Mike
I have and shoot 223 and 556. If I was going to get into these calibers, I would get a gun in 223 Wylde. Hands down. Best of both 223/556 world's. Can use both 223 and 556 ammo. No doubt.

Find you a Savage action, build your own

Northland Shooter Supply Criterion Barrels

Capture.JPG

I am considering purchasing a new rifle ( for me ). It will be a bolt gun and I need to know from experienced shooters which way to go chambering wise. I have heard that the 5.56 is better because most rounds will chamber in it while the .223 is not as forgiving. All input is wanted pro or con. This will probably be a longer distance varmint rifle for back on the grasslands of the midwest.
Any recommendations on specific rifles are also welcome however I am planning an "off the shelf " purchase and will not , at this time, be building a rifle.
Thanks
Mike
Go with the Wilde chamber.

That "rule of thumb" generally applies to semi auto rifles so AR shooters can shoot both calibers. The 556 chamber has a longer throat for military use which might reduce accuracy shooting 223 thru it but it will.
The 223 Wylde chamber is an "in-between" attempt to regain the accuracy in the 223 while still allowing to safely shoot the 556. Its a better option in semi autos IMO but I dont see a need to get it in a bolt action IMO....
If you want long range precision just get a 223 bolt action and simply dont shoot 556 in it. There's lots of factory varmint loads in 223 but not so much in 556. For a varmint hunting rifle theres no need to worry about shooting the 556.
This 👆
If you're going bolt gun. Only way to go is the 223. Less options in 5.56 and less charming rounds although you could load them I just wouldn't go that route. Stick with the fries and true 223

Thanks
Mike
Interesting concept, a 223 Wyld in a bolt action. Looked around after reading your post and did not find any factory bolt action rifles chambered for the .223 Wyld while they are common in the MSR style of rifle. I have two MSR's both chambered for 5.56 NATO. They have different barrel twists, one of them a 1/9 the other 1/7. The 1/9 will shoot 55gr bullets, but not all that accurately, group sizes vary at 1.0 MOA to 1.5 MOA. With 62gr the group tightens to between 0.7 and 0.9 MOA. With the 1/7 twist the 55gr won't do better than a 2.0 MOA, 62gr about 1.5 MOA with 69 to 77gr shooting between 0.9 to 0.6. It didn't seem to matter whether 5.56 or .223 ammo was used as they both seemed equally accurate. From what I can see in order to get a bolt gun in 223 Wyld you are going to have to have it custom barreled. If it was me I would get a Tikka T3x in .223 and go from there. Good Luck! ;)

Interesting concept, a 223 Wyld in a bolt action. Looked around after reading your post and did not find any factory bolt action rifles chambered for the .223 Wyld while they are common in the MSR style of rifle. I have two MSR's both chambered for 5.56 NATO. They have different barrel twists, one of them a 1/9 the other 1/7. The 1/9 will shoot 55gr bullets, but not all that accurately, group sizes vary at 1.0 MOA to 1.5 MOA. With 62gr the group tightens to between 0.7 and 0.9 MOA. With the 1/7 twist the 55gr won't do better than a 2.0 MOA, 62gr about 1.5 MOA with 69 to 77gr shooting between 0.9 to 0.6. It didn't seem to matter whether 5.56 or .223 ammo was used as they both seemed equally accurate. From what I can see in order to get a bolt gun in 223 Wyld you are going to have to have it custom barreled. If it was me I would get a Tikka T3x in .223 and go from there. Good Luck! ;)
To this point, I see lots of 1 in 7 AR's on our range and none shoot 55 gr ammunition worth a crap. Mine is one of them. If I were purchasing a rifle for SD varmints I would stick with 223 and 1 in 12, no faster than 1 in 9. Otherwise, I'd move to 22-250 or a 243/6mm. But those in factory rifles are barrel burners. Restricting to factory loads the 223 wins hands down for varmint loads.

I can't imagine any factory chambering that wouldn't accept 223/556 in today's sue happy climate. I think present day rifle manufacturers recognize this and chamber appropriately.

I would be more concerned about getting the proper twist rate for the bullets I wanted to shoot.