Update my Mod 70

ptrlcop

Hey all, new to the forum.

When I was 11 my dad bought me a Winchester Mod 70 classic featherweight in .270win. I've killed plenty of animals with it. 6 years ago, before I knew anything about long range shooting, I killed a muley with it at 692yds. It was luck and I would not attempt that shot now with the same equipment.

Three years ago I became a sniper on my PD SWAT team. Since then, I have hunted with whatever rifle I was using for work at the time. It was hard for me to justify leaving a rifle that I shoot 1500+ rds per year with at home. However, I have always missed my .270. I am looking on tuning up the gun a little so that I want to shoot it more. Also, I am going to start reloading so I can afford to shoot it more.

The gun is totally stock right now. I want to keep it as close to original form as possible(likely keep the wood stock). I am thinking a trigger job, squaring the action, and a bedding job would go a long way(want to try and stay under 1k for work on the gun). I also want to put a pic rail on top so that I have a little more freedom with optics mounting as my current scope is not in the ideal spot for me. Lastly, I will get some new glass. I am considering the a NF 2.5-10X42 since this is what is on my work gun but I would like to possibly step up to 12 or 15x.

Are there any other mods I should look at or smiths I should talk to about this project? I am really just looking for a light weight rifle that I can own 600 and in with.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.