Thoughts on Mod 70 Coyote

Timberbeast7

Anybody have any opinions on the Mod 70 Coyotes. I found one in a 7WSM and thinking about using it for long range hunting. Are they comparable to the Senderos? Also, is the Mod 70 trigger adjustable? Thoughts please.

I like mine in .270WSM. The .270WSM is an awesome true short magnum round. Mine is not as accurate as Sendero's I own. This may not be the case with all Coyotes. The trigger is awesome. W70's are known for being easy to adjust. All the loads that I have developed have shown excessive pressure signs with primers cratering. This may have something to do with the firing pin hole diameter of the bolt. I don't have enough knowledge/info on the subject to elaborate. It's lighter than the Sendero's....JohnnyK.

I am very pleased with my Model 70 Coyote chambered in 300WSM. With the bullets that it likes this is a very accurate gun. It likes 168 and 175 grain Sierra match bullets for target shooting and it will also shoot 168 Barnes TSX bullets into small groups. I do not own a Sendero so I can't make a comparison but my gun will shoot with almost any factory gun that I have shot.

I added a Timmny trigger to mine and I love the combination.

+1 on the Mod 70 Coyote

I have one in 7WSM and it has converted me to a 7mm guy. It will shoot ~MOA out to about 850 with 62 gr of H4350 and 150 Scirocco IIs. It shoots significantly less than MOA (~1/2MOA) with 160 Accubonds but they were dropping so fast that I stopped shooting them. Three 150 Scirocco IIs went through a nice bull at ~100 yds last year and another went through the chest cavity and up against the hide of another bull at 750yds. I shot about (200) 168 Bergers trying to get them to shoot well but I never could get them to group. Also of note, the magazine box was long enough to accomodate any bullet seated out to the lands. I bedded the action and put a Timney on it thats adjusted to about 1lb.

Mine is in 300WSM, although I would prefer a 7WSM. I've fed it Accubonds, SMKs, SGKs with very good success, and am going to try some TSXs through it when I get it back. Sent it out to add a Timney and a recrown.

Trigger is adjustable, but still couldn't get it where I wanted it.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll probably pick it up and throw it in the safe until this spring when I get bored and work up some loads for it. It will be my new desert gun.:)

Good rifles. Accurate. Reliable.

IMG_0002.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.