Mod 70 Jewell

wyoming

Any Win Mod 70 shooters here have the Jewell trigger installed on their rifle and ,if so, how do you like it. Thinkin about buying one for my Christmas present.

Wyoming

I have one on a 25-06 push feed here thats setup for LR varmints , playing , oh I mean inspecting it yesterday and it seems to be the same feel and functioin as the triggers they use in the Rem 700 , top notch. I'm still not convienced that they are 100% better than the Rifle Basix though and they are 100% higher in price.

I guess if you were trying to shoot record groups that they may be a little bit better than the RB but thats on'y once they are brought down to 2-3 oz's

How good is the RifleBasix? Can it be adjusted to less than 1lb safely and break crisp with no creep etc., etc.? :confused: Really wantin to improve my Model 70's trigger.

Wyoming

Rifle Basix makes a trigger for the Win M-70 I'm ordering one tomorrow for a customer who is gonna be dropping of his gun next Friday , so if you can wiat till the first of the year I'll give you a full report on it.

Brownells has it for $79.95 item number #758-000-009AA

the ad says that it can be adjusted down to 10 oz safely and has adjustments for creep , over travel and weight of pull. With a little bit of stoneing and proper lube I'm sure it can be slicked up to be very very nice.
I seriously doubt that one can tell a proper worked over and stoned trigger to a Jewel of the same weight and creep , especialy on a hunting weight gun , on a full custom BR rig maybe and thats a big maybe

How good is the RifleBasix? Can it be adjusted to less than 1lb safely and break crisp with no creep etc., etc.? :confused: Really wantin to improve my Model 70's trigger.

Wyoming

I could not get a RB to work on my model 70 varmint. It kept firing when the bolt was closed. Was to short for some reason...

I went with a Jewell HVR set at 28 ozs in my 243 AI. It is a sweet trigger and needed just a little inletting to fit the HS stock that Win. uses on the heavy varminter.

I do have RB on other guns, but prefer the Jewell hands down. I just put another HVR in my sendero set at a crisp 2 lbs.

good luck, I don't think you'd be unhappy with either one.

Thanks for the replies as they are helpful. Went to my local smith today to see about installing a Jewell in my m70 when, and if I order one. In his catalog [forget the company] it showed the adjustment range as 1 1/2lb.- 4-1/2lb. Midway and other suppliers show 1 1/2oz.- 4 1/2lb.. I was wantin a trigger that would adjust down into the ounces. Does anybody know what it really is. I was countin on the latter.

Again thanks,

Wyoming

Buy the Jewell HVR, it will adjust as follows:

HVR (Hunting/Varmint Model) with:

a. Spring A: 8.0 to 56.0 oz.
b. Spring B: 2.0 oz. to 16.0 oz.
c. Spring C: 1.5 oz. to 3.0 oz.
d. Pull above 56 oz. (3 1/2. Ib.) optional.

I think it comes with the A spring installed and set at approx. 1 lb. I would bump it up if using it for hunting. Leave the A spring in and set it up a little.

Good luck.

My M-70

has a three (3) oz Jewell on a 300wsm and I highly suggest it BUT i GOT IT DIRECTLY. ps do not use if you are prone to sneeze -----! Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.