mod 70

ARlife4me

Forgoing the controlled round feed vs push feed option? Does the barrel require the notch (unlike the controlled) on a push feed or can it be headspaced like a Savage?

The push feed barrel shank and threads are 1" diameter ,16 tpi. No notch. Once the shank is cut to length and threaded then the chamber is reamed. Standard headspacing go and no go gauges are used. There is no nut like a savage.

The push feed barrel shank and threads are 1" diameter ,16 tpi. No notch. Once the shank is cut to length and threaded then the chamber is reamed. Standard headspacing go and no go gauges are used. There is no nut like a savage.
So, similar to a 700 then?

Yes similar. You can use Remington takeoff barrels on a model 70 action with some simple machining. Remove the bolt recess, cut down the barrel diameter to 1", thread and chamber. I have done that to quite a few push feed model 70s and Ruger M77s. All that is necessary is that the reamer cleans up the remains of the existing chamber. Examples: takeoff in 300 win mag was rechambered with a 300 Rum. 7-08 was rechambered with a 284 Win. 243 rechambered with a 6mm-284.

Recently I acquired a new Tikka SS barrel in 25-06. The threaded shank is longer than the model 70's. but same thread size, 1" x 16 TPI. The shank was shortened and it was a perfect fit with the model 70 action. I then used a 257 weatherby reamer to clean up the remaining chamber.