Type of rifle

benny1

What is the consensus of what type of rifle people use most. Chassis system or traditional rifle setup? I've been debating going to chassis just looking for what other people use. Going to be building a 375 caliber.

0D8ABFEB-1E8D-4A1C-90AC-A0ACCBB62BD5.jpeg
Here's an example 375 Snipe Tac, 32" 9 twist, McMillan A5 Supermag stock, 40 moa rail with a Vortex GenII Razor 4.5-27x56 MRAD, Atlas 5H bipod = 24.8 lbs.

Osoh
JH

here is a clone of a NAVY SEAL MK13(mod me) sniper rifle in 300 win mag
26.5" bbl 9" tbac suppressor, macmillin a5 stock 5.5-22x nf
original load is nk248 mod1 220 smk at 2850, my current load
is a berger 230 doing 2913
about 16 lbs

Attachments

• P1000516.JPG
    P1000516.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 152
Besides the unconventional appearance, a consideration that seems to steer shooters away from using a heavy caliber, chassis rifle used for hunting is weight. The chassis will generally result in a rifle that is 2-4+ pounds heavier and can be awkward to carry in some situations. I do suspect the use of chassis based hunting rifle will increase in popularity in the future. Having shot PRS for a few years with a chassis, I have developed a liking for the ergonomics. Hard call beteeen the two designs for me. Both deliver the same shooting performance. I just put a hunter together which I will give a full workout next hunting season.
Two of my 6.5x284 hunters....Lightweught MPA Chassis 12-13 pounds, Mcmillan A3, 11-12 pounds...with same scope/mounts.
E7D76DA9-DFDE-4C1A-8059-E08FA387FF23.jpeg 95D60EE0-0988-4318-9EBD-9C2AD694D13B.jpeg

What is the consensus of what type of rifle people use most. Chassis system or traditional rifle setup? I've been debating going to chassis just looking for what other people use. Going to be building a 375 caliber.
It really depends on your preference. I build as many 1 way as I do the other. I guess it all comes down to the application.

The thread below this"375 cheytacs under 16lbs" would be the way Id be going as Id want to keep weight lower.Some nice set up on there too.I would possibly consider a bull pup design,but dont know if that is possible.But the one that DE does in the LRMK give you a longer barrel in a shorter package,that fits the way I carry in one of my vehicles.Thos ego up to 338 terminator size.Jeremy 338 has Vestal built with proof and Bravo 4 has one also at the 16 # mark,nice looking 375's

Last edited:
I walked into the gun store yesterday because they called and said they finally got in a 6.5 PRC. I went to see it. It was a Christenson Arms. So I looked at all the Christenson Arms rifles. They had a 338 Lapua on a chassis with a carbon wrapped barrel. It was really light. Christenson Arms "Modern" rifle. It must have been 8 to 9 Lbs. The 6.5 PRC with a regular stock and a steel barrel was a couple lbs heavier.

338 Lapua on a light hunting rifle??Why? Especially at $4-$5 a shot. It's an extreme long range round best suited for a heavy "tactical" type rifle. Everyone I know who ever bought one sold it. You can hunt with a heavier rifle but of course that depends on the type of hunt. Hunting in the back country where every pound counts is not for this caliber.

IMG_1920.JPG
I have rifles with MPA chassis and rifles with McMillian A-5 stocks. I like both styles
but if pressed I'll pick the chassis! I shoot in Aug. in a T-shirt but I might shoot that same rifle in Feb.with t-shirt.. hoodie..heavy coat Just adjust the LOP on the chassis and start shooting. My 338 LM is a MPA 338BA.. Heavy with a break just like it should be!
It comes in at 13# with no mag or glass. You can beat that 4 or 5 bucks a shot crap with no problem! I bought Barnes 300Gr.OTM in Lapua brass for 2.50 each! Here's one of mine from APR 6.5 X 284 I think it looks GREAT!!
https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-338ba-bolt-action-rifle/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.