Top Rifle Builders of this site

Broz

As I sit here and suck down my morning coffee I think back into the last few weeks and all the long range shooting I have done. In this pretty shot time I have been lucky enough to put my hands on, cradle, shoot, and watch 3 rifles being shot at long range. The 3 builders of these rifles are present on this site, Shawn Carlock, Kirby Allen and Kevin Cram. The rifles I shot differed in caliber from a 30-338 LM , to a 338 EDGE + P to a 375 Allen Magnum. I got to drive each of them past 1000 yards, 1 to 1013, one to 1800 and another to 2550 yards. I just have to say boys and girls, we have some fine smiths here among us. There is a reason we have to wait for their products but the wait is worth it if you are looking for a rifle that stands above the normal trend of long range rigs. These boys know what they are doing and do it well. We are lucky to have them here and I am getting ready to order a rifle from one of them. It will be from Shawn because he has exaclty what I want. But I don't think you could go wrong with any of these guys.

Congrats boys on your Long Range rifles. They flat *** do it, and do it right.

Jeff

when i started reading here years ago i stayed mainly because of Kirby and Shawn. It's nice to have guys on here that love this sport, and are dedicated to always raising the bar.

there is so much quality info on here, good stuff!

I can speak personally of Kirby. He is an incredible smith, and a very nice guy. Had the pleasure of shooting with him and his rifles several years ago. He is the reason that I got interested in long range hunting. The other guys seam like they are as stand up as Kirby. It is nice to hear from them when they take the time.

Steve

Those are very kind words and I am sure I can speak for the other boys in saying all of us are truely honored when you guys call us up and put the faith in us to build you a rifle of your dreams. I also know all of us put everything we have into each rifle.

This simply takes time and that wait can be extremely frustrating for customers and us as builders as well. I know personally, I get very stressed about making my customers wait as long as they have to but simply will not rush any project as you all deserve all the attention to detail as possible.

I do not know Kevin as personally as I know Shawn but having shot and hunted with Shawn, I can tell you for a fact, we are all just fun lovin gun nuts that love to be outdoors with friends and family and also hunting nuts as well. Does not matter that we build the rifles and you guys shoot them, we are all the same and just love our sport in the end.

I really need to get my rear down to one of your shoots one of these days, sounds like it would be alot of fun.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Broz - you are absolutely right. Although I do not know Shawn or Kirby, their reputations are stellar.

I do know Kevin Cram and have had him build two rifles for me. Both of them are absolutely outstanding!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

Kevin can even work some small miracles with mostly stock rifles. Nephew's rifle is a great example:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Broz, this is kinda deja vu ish that you bring up those three names. Kevin just finished a 6-06AI for my dad. Shawn did one for me this past winter and Kirby is doing a 300AX that should be done anytime now.

All three are excellent and I'm sure, between my dad and myself, we will be using all three for years to come.

Jeff,

I agree with your assessment. Though there are other good, even great, rifle smiths on the forum

I shoot only APS rigs as I'm limited in life expectancy :) and dollars. Getting a little long in the tooth, so to speak.

Kevin (MCR) has done some specialty work for me on the pullet repointing project. The tools work flawlessly.

Another up and comer is Grit (Lorenzo Young of Santaquin UT. -Deadly Precision something). He rebarrelled my 270 AM and did outstanding work. We'll be hearing a lot from him in the future.

BTW, here's the weather I ran into returning to ID yesterday. 20 miles north of the Idaho border on the Montana side of the mountains. What's with that...!!!!????

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 36
Jeff,
Another up and comer is Grit (Lorenzo Young of Santaquin UT. -Deadly Precision something). He rebarrelled my 270 AM and did outstanding work. We'll be hearing a lot from him in the future.

Roy I agree with you about Grit. We have talked in PM's but I havent had the pleasure to see any of his work yet. I do have a small project he has a greed to do for me and I look forward to that.

Jeff

Well, Jeff---As I sit here and have my several cups of morning coffee---------I am pondering on how I am going to afford one of these rigs............
Man, its always something. Guess I'll just have to pick up more beer cans.

Very nice post by the way. There is some talent here.

Randy

Roy is officially responsible for ruining me forever, shooting the 375 AM that Kirby put together really was amazing for me. The thing that stood out for me other than the raw power was the way the whole package functioned, the balance, fit of the rifle combined with the components easily matching up with so much performance it seems like it's easy!
It would seem that so much performance and raw power would at least need some heavier control from the shooter but after a couple shots and getting things situated on the bag that big 375 AM would just roll back nice and easy and I could watch the bullet heading to target, it does not get better than that!!!

Thanks to all of you for all the positive feedback. I think Kirby summed it up pretty well. We're all gun nuts that love what we do and are glad to have the business to do it every day. I opened my doors to the public in 2003 and started just part time while working at a Federal Prison (not as an inmate..lol) but it soon grew into more hours consumed than I imagined. 7 years later I left my Federal job with great benefits and retirement and build custom rifles full time because it's something I love to do each and every day. They say if you love what you do for a living you really never work a day in your life. Now almost into my 10th year I'm so busy it's almost overwhelming at times. I don't know Kirby or Shawn personally but know they are both excellent smiths and to be put in the same class as them makes me proud of what I've accomplished. Thanks again to all and also Broz who started this thread. May long range hunting live on forever. Now all we need is a reality show on true custom gunsmiths...lol

PS. Broz, Darryl Cassel says hello.

Broz, thanks for posting this thread. It is important to sometimes point out the great among us. Although Kirby will be the first to say that he shouldn't be considered as Great, his talent and the talent of these other smiths certainly fits that criteria. It's nice to hear this when it's not coming from someone trying to build HIS smith up against someone elses'. You are absolutely right, these boys know what they are doin'!!

Roy, That weather is the penance you pay by not coming to Great Falls to say Hi and enjoy a steak with me.

Broz, had to help with a shoot and pig roast my church put on Saturday, so sorry I missed yours and missed meeting Roy. Did he win that special prize? If not, maybe next time. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.