TX Whitetail not at Long Range

HappyGVM

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I just wanted to share my unexpected success earlier this week and add to some recent threads on "High Shoulder vs Neck Shots." I moved to Central TX from Colorado last year and have a small 30-acre property. We have a high whitetail population (mostly does) and while I've seen some nice bucks on the half dozen cameras on the property most are just passing through. Anyway, the rut is on, and after hunting 5 days in a row this brute followed the ladies across the wrong fence. I had never seen him before and didn't think twice when I saw the rack. I dropped him at about 80 yards with the high shoulder shot. I did lose most of the meat on near shoulder, but it was more important to me that I didn't have to track him (the property is only about 250 yds wide). I shot him with my Tikka T3X Super-light (left-handed) in 6.5 CM using the 129 gr SST in Hornady's Superformance factory ammo. I could barely find the tiny entrance hole and the bullet did not exit--I barely found any of it to be specific--and it caused massive tissue damage and destroyed the shoulder & both lungs. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• 42406.jpeg
    42406.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 94
Congratulations ! I know how you feel about having little land to hunt.....400 yards wide 1000 yards long and can only use shotgun, muzzleloader or 35 caliber or larger 1.8" maximum case.....

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I just wanted to share my unexpected success earlier this week and add to some recent threads on "High Shoulder vs Neck Shots." I moved to Central TX from Colorado last year and have a small 30-acre property. We have a high whitetail population (mostly does) and while I've seen some nice bucks on the half dozen cameras on the property most are just passing through. Anyway, the rut is on, and after hunting 5 days in a row this brute followed the ladies across the wrong fence. I had never seen him before and didn't think twice when I saw the rack. I dropped him at about 80 yards with the high shoulder shot. I did lose most of the meat on near shoulder, but it was more important to me that I didn't have to track him (the property is only about 250 yds wide). I shot him with my Tikka T3X Super-light (left-handed) in 6.5 CM using the 129 gr SST in Hornady's Superformance factory ammo. I could barely find the tiny entrance hole and the bullet did not exit--I barely found any of it to be specific--and it caused massive tissue damage and destroyed the shoulder & both lungs. Happy Hunting.
Congrats. That's a bruiser for Central Texas.