Two 280AI’s

aalyea

My son has a Cooper AI that is a genuine half minute rifle with Hammers. I just got a Backcountry in same. Got all new Peterson brass. Should each rifle keep it's own brass separate even if it turns out they like the same load?

I would not if interchanging the brass had no impact on loads and accuracy. I have found that some makes of brass have very thick necks and will need to be trimmed tho for the 280 AI

Tagging in.

I'm not anywhere near an expert on this subject and just started down the reloading rabbit hole but I thought the brass would form to the specific rifle/chamber when you shoot it and that would "help" increase accuracy and possibly the life of the brass. I might be completely wrong but this is just something I have read on the internet….and as we all know the internet is NEVER wrong

Thanks. Pretty. Much along my thoughts. Had a 300 WSM A bolt I sold and replaced with Sako. Even with double full length resizing was really tough to chamber.

I have 2 65284s...same Lapua brass..fgm210 primers...142lrabs..
Resized to same shell lenght..same rl23..52.1gr & 52.3gr.....
but bullets like a different jump...
not much...but definite....
2.9??
vs
Both 1/2" at 100yds

Measure the chamber size for each using a fired case and comparator. If they are similar (within 0.001") to shoulder, then I see no reason to keep brass separate. Full length resize with 0.002" shoulder bump.

Then load to specs each gun likes based on throat length, barrel length, etc.

That's what I do with 2 of my 30-06s and 2 of my 270s. Other 30-06s and 270s that don't pair up get dedicated brass.

You have two different rifles, and more than likely they are chamber by a different reamer. So there probable going to be a difference in the chambering size. You could use fingernail polish and mark the cases at the base applying the polish on the lettering. Marking one set of brass for one rifle. I am not sure just how it will stay on during cleaning, I haven't tried it. It would be a trail to see if it holds on. I reload for several 25-06's and there I use different caliber brass and size them to 25-06. Such as 36-06, 7mm, 280, and 270. That way I knew which case went to which rifle. Otherwise keep the brass separate. Further the lands possible possible at a different length from bolt face. To many variables.