Two Questions

gunner45

First one...Does anybody have any 140 grain loads for the 6.5 WSM using H1000? I'm using Retumbo right now but am not entirely satisified with it.

Second...What causes a large ES? I'm getting one hole groups at 100 yds. but with around 50 or more fps extreme spread. No big deal at 100 but way out there, it's gotta affect group size. Is it powder selection or powder charge, or primer choice, or what???

Thanks in advance.

I'd say primer and/or powder selection.

I'd try different primers first as it's easier.

Maybe even try a non-magnum primer. Who knows. When I switched to CCi 200s from 250s the ole 270 Win switched to bug holes.

140grs seems heavy for bore in the 6.5 so I'd give US-869/AA8700/WC868 a try. Some of these may be a little hard to come by but when I switched from H-1000/Retumbo/RL-25 etc to US-869 in a 338 RUM & 300 SMKs ES went to zero.

I'm getting kind of fond of those slow ball powders.

FWIW

That's what I use in my 270 AM for 150s, 169.5s and 195s and the 338 RUM.

Pretty sweet stuff.

I just shot 101gr of 869 and 150 ballistic tips in temperature from -10 to todays 40 degrees and every thing between and 200 yd zero and group size and pressures were seemingly consistent. That is no extraction or bolt lift problems at the 40 degree temps. However, I was using that danged Nosler brass. I'll most assuredly have extractions about 50 degrees with that load and that brass.:(

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.