Shooting light bullets in the 6 Creedmoor, two questions

woodnut

To start, I have a love affair with the 6 Creedmoor! I shoot the 105s and 108s in my rifles with 8 and 7.5 twists very accurately.
But, I just rechambered one of my Ruger # 1s in it and I am pretty sure it started life with a 12 twist, but hopefully only a 10.
So, my two questions: What's an easy way to find the twist? (It's been a long time since I've done this!) Second, using 55,70, 75, and up to 85 gr bullets; any load ifo you have would be greatly appreciated!

Take a cleaning rod, draw a line down one side with a Sharpie.
Put a jag with patch on the end, and start to push it through. As soon as the rod starts to spin and the long line is at 12:00 straight up, mark a perpendicular line with the sharpie on the cleaning rod at the back of the action.
Push it until it makes 1 full revolution and the long line is back on top at 12:00 straight up. Mark another perpendicular line at the back of the action.
Push all the way through and pull the rod out.
Measure between perpendicular lines. That measurent is your twist rate.

I shoot the 80 gr varmint bullets out of my creed at 3450 FPS with h4350. Pretty much one hole accuracy and have killed everything I have shot out to 300 yards with ease.

Thank you lancetkenyon for the help! Now that you tell me, its a "duh" moment! And thank you Dmagna for the load, but how much of H4350 and what's your rifles twist?

WOW! I just found a cleaning rod that will turn and did what you said, lancetkenyon. It's not good, but it is actually a 14 twist! Looks like 55s to shoot? What do you think is the heaviest?

Recent Posts