Twist Rate for a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor?

TacBlade

I have read some articles about the 6.5 Creedmoor and could not find any mention of a twist rate for a 20" barrel? I know its not optimal for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it is going to be on a Remington Model Seven and anything longer than 20", kind of defeats the purpose of going with the smaller Mod 7. I am going with the 6.5 Creedmoor, because I want a 6.5 cal round and I like the 6.5 Creedmoor and this enables me to use my existing bolt. Yes, I could go with a 260, but the 6.5C is what I want. I want to shoot 123 gr bullets, as that is what I shoot through my Grendel. Thanks!

I have read some articles about the 6.5 Creedmoor and could not find any mention of a twist rate for a 20" barrel? I know its not optimal for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it is going to be on a Remington Model Seven and anything longer than 20", kind of defeats the purpose of going with the smaller Mod 7. I am going with the 6.5 Creedmoor, because I want a 6.5 cal round and I like the 6.5 Creedmoor and this enables me to use my existing bolt. Yes, I could go with a 260, but the 6.5C is what I want. I want to shoot 123 gr bullets, as that is what I shoot through my Grendel. Thanks!

Don't see why the standard 1-9 twist wouldn't work.

If you have a cache of 123, going with a 9tw is fine but IIWM 8tw.

The standard is 1-9? I have read so many posts that stated they would go 1-8, so I was thinking that was the standard? So if I were to mostly shoot 123gr, but wanted to shoot heavier bullets, should I go with the 1-8? I have read that 1-8 could handle any weight bullet?

The standard is 1-9? I have read so many posts that stated they would go 1-8, so I was thinking that was the standard? So if I were to mostly shoot 123gr, but wanted to shoot heavier bullets, should I go with the 1-8? I have read that 1-8 could handle any weight bullet?

Factory Remington Model Sevens in .260 have 1-9 twists. If you are strictly shooting 123s then a 9 is all you will ever need. If you plan on shooting high BC 140s then get an 8.

If you are building or re-barreling then there is no cost difference between 8tw and 9tw but there is a future advantage if you decide to shoot heavier projectiles.

Bryan Litz is releasing a new book that has this information for you. He gives you the optimal twist rates as well as other information about over 400 rounds.

Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets

Never cease to be amazed at how SKEERED folks are about twist.

8 and do not look back. NEVER seen a downside to spinning too fast.

If you are not running Mach 5 you are not worried about blowing up bullets.

If you are not shooting Benchrest for score a few thousands in groups size is irrelevant.

I've shot 1/4" groups at 200 yds with an 8 twist 6BR, with 66 and 105s. Spin was not "TOO FAST"

I have had a few factory rifles that were LIMITED by 9 twist, some shot fine and others, actually a custom 6.5-308 (bbl mfg goofed, ordered an 8) - would not handle 140s.

I ALWAYS go 8 twist on ALL 6mm and 6.5mm. YMMV.

Never cease to be amazed at how SKEERED folks are about twist.

8 and do not look back. NEVER seen a downside to spinning too fast.

If you are not running Mach 5 you are not worried about blowing up bullets.

If you are not shooting Benchrest for score a few thousands in groups size is irrelevant.

I've shot 1/4" groups at 200 yds with an 8 twist 6BR, with 66 and 105s. Spin was not "TOO FAST"

I have had a few factory rifles that were LIMITED by 9 twist, some shot fine and others, actually a custom 6.5-308 (bbl mfg goofed, ordered an 8) - would not handle 140s.

I ALWAYS go 8 twist on ALL 6mm and 6.5mm. YMMV.

A higher spin rate will result in more spin drift. Just as long as you meet the minimum spin for good stability. But that spin drift can be recorded and adapted to.

All drift, down, and to left or right in wind.

If a bullet is spinning "Just enough" to milk the last thousands of accuracy, what happens on impact on game? Will it tumble?

I'd rather know my bullet is staying nose forward with stability to reach and go thru vitals after impact when hunting. One's end goal matters.

Try this link = Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Caliber and Twist Rates.

It should answer all your questions on twist rates for the bullets you intend to use.

The barrel length does not have any effect on twist rates, just velocity.

There are 3 charts and the last one will address the bullet weight.

hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.