6.5-284 twist rate

Not running it yet, but I got an 8 twist for my 6.5 SS. Planning to run 143 gr ELD-X when I get it all together.

I have a .264 WM and a 6.5x55 that each have a 9 twist barrel. Both rifles shoot 140 VLD's well under 1/2 MOA.

I have a 6.5-284 with an 8 twist Krieger. It is not much faster than the 6.5x55. With 140 AMAX's, there is very little difference in trajectory out to 600 yards. But, there is a significant difference in wind drift, in favor of the 6.5-284. I believe that to be a reflection of improved stability (and, therefore, bc) from the 8 twist.

I noted with interest a recent post by elkaholic indicating he had heard through the grapevine that Berger will be releasing a 155 EOL hybrid in 6.5 in the near future. Based on some rough estimates of bullet dimensions that I plugged into the Berger calculator, folks with 8 twist barrels should be able to get good use from the new bullet. Something to think about...

I agree with benchracer, for the optimal down range performance you need the 1:8 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.