Turrets

NYSHUNTER

I'm thinking of having a custom turret made up for my NXS. I was wondering if anyone knew the pros and cons of having a custom turret ?

Cost and versatility. The turret becomes obsolete if you change the load or put the scope on another gun. I also find that for long range the increments get so small that it's though to dial every distance as you usually see only 100 yard increments. I never got what was so hard or time consuming about dialin exact mils or moa for a long range shot the extra second it takes shouldn't matter as you shouldn't be rushing it. For close range snap shooting yre probably not dialing in anything. Just my opinion.

Point taken , I was just told elevation is a huge factor , I don't think I wanna be walking around numerous turrets as I start hiking

Elevation makes a very large difference in drop so a turret made for sea level would be useless at 8000' elevation. If you're talking +/- a couple thousand feet then it wouldn't be enough to matter.

I prefer to have my turret set up in MOA (or MILS) and tape a drop chart to the side of my stock. That way I can change the data for the areas I hunt.

Another option is custom turret labels. For a small fee they'll send you customized tape labels that you wrap around your turret. I haven't used them but supposedly they're high quality. That way you can just change the label for different loads or altitudes, etc.

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels

I use some white tape, a sharpie and cover it with clear tape.

Just write the distances on the turret, then factor in the differences for alt or temp from your log book.
I also make wind turrets and the whole system has made my shooting so much simpler.

That's what I'm using now the white tape works wonder and is sure cheaper then having a custom turret made ...I don't have one for the wind maybe I should

Everything you need to know from 300 to 1500 yards. If you change loads, simply print a different chart. Changing elevation, temps, ect... by a bunch??? print up a new chart.

Wind chart on top out to 1500 in 5 mph incruments (full value) in MOA.
dial ups out to 1500 in 25 yard incruments in the middle.
Hold over chart on the bottom.

Simple, fast, and effective!!

CUSTOM KNOBS ARE A WASTE OF MONEY and very limited. (imo).

Tod

Attachments

• DSC00928.JPG
    DSC00928.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.