Ballistic Turrets

If your turret etching matches your load, if you are ~2 minutes high at 100, you will be ~2 minutes high at other ranges as well. That would explain why you hit 11" at 600 (just under 2 minutes high)

You need to sight in at a mid range... Let's say 400 yrds... Dial to 400 and make it hit dead on at 400.... If your turret is matched to your load, all ranges should be bang on. If you an only sight in at 250... Dial to 250 and make it hit dead on... Not 2" high... Your turret should be close on all other ranges... Not high.

For me, unless you plan on always hunting at the same altitude and temp ballistic turrets suck. I have always found it better to have a program that takes into account your zero data and takes into account where you are at now and makes appropriate changes. Plus you should make some dope cards up for education purposes also. And shooting and learning what your weapon will do at various conditions is fun.

My turret is etched to be zeroed at 100 yards. But, I don't use that setting. My scope is actually set for 2" high @ 100 which gives me a 250 yard zero. I also set my zero stop at 250 yards. When I crank it to 600 I should still be hitting near the X Ring at 600 yards, right? The 2" high setting at 100 does not carry over beyond that zero distance, right?

Can you tell I'm new at this?

You are defeating the purpose of have a ballistic turret set to your gun & load by yardage marks if you do not zero at 100 yards as specified.

You need to zero it for 100 yards, to hit at point of aim at 100 yards. Not 2" high. That throws off the whole turret by 2 MOA now by doing so.

Then, if you want to keep a max point blank range type setting, dial the turret to 250 yards and leave it there. You will be a couple inches high at 100, and a couple inches low at 300. But it should be a good medium. You can still set your zero stop to 250, but realize you will not be able to dial down to your 100 yard mark. You will have to aim low to get desired point of impact.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.