TTSX range help

gordonl

Hey guys, a little new at calculating deceleration and max range.

Im wanting to shoot a 168 TTSX and have it be my one load for pigs to moose.

If its going 2750fps or faster...how far un till it won't expand...if think at 1900fps??

Hey guys, a little new at calculating deceleration and max range.

Im wanting to shoot a 168 TTSX and have it be my one load for pigs to moose.

If its going 2750fps or faster...how far un till it won't expand...if think at 1900fps??

Is 2750 your muzzle velocity ? We need to know the muzzle to help you out.

yes at the muzzle, sorry forgot to clarify that.
its a 22in barrel.
my barrel likes me to push them fast.

Ballistics calculator, pluged in .470 for B.C and 2800FPS I used my altitude and atmospheric conditions so it may need some altering to be more exacting but roughly 1800FPS will fall around the 600 yard range.

I once thought this bullet was the cats meow for all big game, then I loaded them in my wifes 7mm-08 and she shot a 362" bull elk with that setup at 250 yards. I think impact was about 2400 fps (2850 @ barrel) and the 140 TTSX bullet barely opened up at that velocity. We almost lost that bull due to a few reasons, luckily we didn't, but the bullet not causing a large wound channel was an issue.

1800 fps seems like a acceptable min impact velocity setup for more frangible bullets, but the TTSX need to be pushed fast and hard to cause a large wound channel, I would call 2200-2400 fps the min impact for that bullet. If your looking for an all around bullet I highly recommend the original accubond, or even the partition would be better IMO.

PS, the TTSX do shoot awesome out of all rifles I loaded them in

I once thought this bullet was the cats meow for all big game, then I loaded them in my wifes 7mm-08 and she shot a 362" bull elk with that setup at 250 yards. I think impact was about 2400 fps (2850 @ barrel) and the 140 TTSX bullet barely opened up at that velocity. We almost lost that bull due to a few reasons, luckily we didn't, but the bullet not causing a large wound channel was an issue.

1800 fps seems like a acceptable min impact velocity setup for more frangible bullets, but the TTSX need to be pushed fast and hard to cause a large wound channel, I would call 2200-2400 fps the min impact for that bullet. If your looking for an all around bullet I highly recommend the original accubond, or even the partition would be better IMO.

PS, the TTSX do shoot awesome out of all rifles I loaded them in
Barnes claims there bullets will get full expansion at 1800ft/sec. At 22-2400 your not using the bullet to its full potential

Do you think that could have been maybe a fluke?
Or that it some how didn't hit any bone? jut soft tissue?

ry151

Barnes does not claim "full expansion" of their bullets at 1,800 fps. That is the velocity that they will barely expand. The previous comment that they need to be traveling fast is correct. I don't run them unless I can launch them above 3,000 fps. When you add the fact that their BCs suck the Accubond or new ELD-Xs are much better choices for long range work. For up close (which is where most game is shot) they do great.

Do you think that could have been maybe a fluke?
Or that it some how didn't hit any bone? jut soft tissue?

I don't think it was a fluke, pulled 2 bullets out of him. They would expand more if she hit bone but I don't try to hit shoulder if I don't have to. I know guys that swear by the TTSX, but it sems more common that I hear of guys moving away from them after an experience similar to mine. Where they shine is above 3000 fps where other bullets might explode too quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.