TTSX range help

Just as a point of contrast, I was spotting for a buddy who shot a nice 6X6 bull with his 338 RUM and the 210 TTSX launched at 3,200 fps. Bull was at 348 yards. He hunched up big time, stumbled for 20 yards and fell over stone dead. Bullet double lunged him and passed clear through. That is how you use a Barnes bullet.

Thanks, so it will be going around 1800fps around 600 yards?

How do you calculate that?

I used Berger ballistic tables for the 168gr TTSX at muzzle 2800fps @ 500yds velocity 1899fps and 600yds 1743fps.

That 168gr TTSX is 1.470" long and this is from Barnes on seating

Do I seat TSX bullets .030 inch to .070 inch from the lands, starting at .050 inch off the lands, as recommended with other X-style bullets?

Yes. All-copper TSX Bullets typically give better accuracy when seated off the lands and grooves (the rifling in the barrel).

You might want to shot that bullet find out if your rifle shoot it.

ry151

Barnes does not claim "full expansion" of their bullets at 1,800 fps. That is the velocity that they will barely expand. The previous comment that they need to be traveling fast is correct. I don't run them unless I can launch them above 3,000 fps. When you add the fact that their BCs suck the Accubond or new ELD-Xs are much better choices for long range work. For up close (which is where most game is shot) they do great.
I emailed them asking exactly that, what is the minimum speed the TTSX will get full expansion and there reply was 1800ft/sec

I have ran them a bit. I would suggest 2 things. First try to keep impact velocity above 2200 FPS. Next is aim to hit bone. I have a couple of rifles that shoot them very well. Run them fast and they do a very good job. If you go to the Africa hunting forums that is one of the top bullets recommended. They like a exit hole for ease of tracking as well as they kill well.
Last year in Africa I used the AB's and had good performance. For soft tissue impacts the Bergers and the new ELD-X bullets are very good. Bruce

A little off topic but I had an accubond take a 3070-3075fps impact on a 280lb aoudad which broke its shoulder blade in half it left an 1.5" exit.

Back on topic my dad had a 130gr TTSX shed all of its petals on a 130 yard shot on a white tail from his 270 win shooting Barnes factory loads. I found the base in a chunk of meat I was cooking.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.