TTSX jump

I HAD two 7 Rem Mags that I shot this bullet in. One a 24" barreled M700 DBM & the other an HS Precision with 26" barrel. Both shot 73 Grains or Retumbo LIGHTS OUT (max charge in a couple different manuals). Was about .030 from lands on one and .040 from lands on the other. Both barrels clocked right at 3200 FPS.
I wheel and deal constantly with rifles and no longer own either of these, but the M700 belongs to the son of a good friend today and he has slain a healthy number of beasts with it. He killed a 6 point bull here in Wyoming last season at 700 plus yards. 2 shots in vitals. One and he was dead on his feet and Two put him down for the count. I know 700 yards is probably stretching the envelope for expansion with this setup but I don't think anything he's shot has known that they weren't shot with a "bomb"....

I have had good success with the TTSX from about .025 off of lands to over .100 off of lands....a few rifles HAVE liked them closer than .050

Good morning guy's, I have an H&S precision rifle in 7mm rem mag that is behaving poorly with 160gr Partitions and h4831sc. I had acquired some 140gr Barnes TTSX to try with Rel22. Looking to get an idea on where to start with on bullet jump from the lands (I've never played with Barnes solids before) . It seems these like a healthy jump from what I've researched so far.
I tried every combo imaginable in my Nesika 7mm and Barnes bullets. I even called Barnes. Seriously name the powder, bullet weight, primer, jump and they never failed every time, one out of every three shots was a flyer. Maybe #1, 4 3,2 it didn't matter. Always one in every four I'd get a random flyer. I felt I couldnt trust it for distance. Someone on this forum suggested Hammer bullets. And I am delighted with them. A bit pricey but I went thru 300.00 plus in bullets and powder and casings etc with Barnes. I shoot almost single hold all day long with the Hammer bullet. Several loads work too. I picked then one in the middle. So hot and cold temperatures wouldnt matter.

Good morning guy's, I have an H&S precision rifle in 7mm rem mag that is behaving poorly with 160gr Partitions and h4831sc. I had acquired some 140gr Barnes TTSX to try with Rel22. Looking to get an idea on where to start with on bullet jump from the lands (I've never played with Barnes solids before) . It seems these like a healthy jump from what I've researched so far.
I would go right to the LRX, bullet. Been shooting and reloading Barnes for years start with the imr enduron powders and work between a .025 and. 035 jump and load close to the max load you will be shooting close groups.

I did a lot of work on my stock 700 7mm several years ago trying to get it above 3,000 fps. Pounds of powder and boxes of bullets. Thankfully I didn't quite shoot it out. I know this is the old fashion way, but I found the perfect length for the loaded cartridge in this rifle. The OAL is 3.32 inches. That works in a factory chambered Remington. I'm shooting 150 gr tsx, so it may be a good place to start your search.

Thanks for all the info guys, I guess I'm done with this one for now. Happy day at the range. Now I can focus on my sons rifle.

Be careful. Your son may steal your rifle when he sees your groups.

PS: Crimped in first cannelure 416 yielded this type of group consistently. Thank Heaven that these are easy to get tuned as they really are expensive to blaze away at the range with. They probably shoot better than this but a Rigby from the bench with full house loads is no fun after multiple shoulder surgeries.😭
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-06-07 13:41:35.155577.jpg

Last edited:
63 grs. of H4831 160 npt. @ .100 off lands shoots great in my 7mmm.

I tried .060 with my 25-06 with the 80 ttsx and had 3/8 moa so I never tried anything else. I've shot & loaded for the 7mm rem mag quite a bit in multiple rifles. I just got through loading & shooting one about 45 min ago. Match grade bullet from 160-168 gr with retumbo should shoot lights out in most 7mm rem mags. H1000, RL26 or powders with like burn rates should shine with 160-168 bullets. All this is assuming a twist rate from 9.5 to 8.5.

Thanks for all the info guys, I guess I'm done with this one for now. Happy day at the range. Now I can focus on my sons rifle.

Be careful. Your son may steal your rifle when he sees your groups.

Scott E, He already has stole my rifle!!! he is using my NULA 30-06, the nice light rifle I bought myself to stomp around the mountains with.

Have been using the Barnes since 1994. Have taken elk each season with a 6.5. Never a problem with accuracy. Usually seated .050 to .070 off the lands. Over the last two years I acquired two new 6.5's. one 1/9 the other 1/8 twist. Neither rifle woulds shoot the Barnes with any thing resembling hunting accuracy. This is the first time I had this type of problem with the Barnes. I have seated these Barnes bullets in these rifles from up close to way back off with no success. Have tried several different powders . Also no success. Have heard of others from time to time having the same problem. I heard Hammer brand bullets might work better. The Hammer's instantly snuggled into 1/2" groups & took my elk with them last season. Can't explain why, just thought I would pass on the info in case the Barnes don't shoot well in your rifle. Elk taken with both the Barnes & the Hammer bullets went right down. See no difference with performance on elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.