TSS Ammo! R U Kidding Me?

But WTHELLO is the price of TSS in .410! On average its at least $42-$45 box of 5! Some over $50!
Where are you looking? There is plenty of TSS .410 ammunition on ammoseek.com for $6 per round before shipping. Most online stores will offer free shipping for a certain amount, it usually isn't a challenge to purchase enough to get it.

I hear you on the price, but let me share my thoughts.

I have taken 3 kids for their first ever turkey hunt, and the oldest was 8. All three used a .410 and my TSS shot. All three killed a turkey and dropped the bird stone dead. So $10 a shot, compared to an experience that will last them the rest of their lives. I feel that is money well spent.

Now, could they have killed these birds with lead turkey .410 shells? Probably, but I will say letting them know they had the "best" made them much more confident.
Much in the same regard, I use TSS because I live in a state with a relatively low population of birds.
North Carolina harvests over 5x as many birds in the spring as Washington does all year.
Michigan beats us by well over 10x.

I have a 7 hour drive to get to the turkey woods, where I will be hunting in dark coniferous forests on rugged mountain sides, where it's not uncommon to hike 6-10 miles per day.

That puts a 4 day weekend at nearly $400 in gas, $400 more in hotels or $100 in camping fees, plus all the other associated gear. It's a large endeavor for us.... so who cares if i spend $33 on 5 rounds?

The 2 shells that I fire off for the weekend will be the cheapest line item on the expense list.... but the extra energy, the extra number of pellets, and the extra range might make the difference between notching a tag, or wasting 14 hours of driving and some spent vacation hours just to get covered in ticks!

Besides, isn't this the long range hunting forum? shooting TSS is the long range version!!!
We will spend thousands on custom rifles, glass, spotters, wind meters, gps, and range finders, then spend all summer working up customs loads just to go shoot a deer or a steel plate? And that's ok?
My grandad shot an aweful lot of Muleys with a hand me down lever action and cast wheel weight bullets.....

Permethrin from the brand name Sawyer.
I buy it at Walmart and spray my turkey hunting clothes with it. I haven't found any ticks on me since I started using it!
Yes to this!! I think they used to even say treat your clothes properly and it would last a few wash cycles or up to a certain # of weeks. (6 weeks maybe?)

Either way well worth it. A lot of people in my area the last few years have gotten the Alpha Gal from ticks…trying to dodge that like the plague.

NOPE! I cannot fathom this insanity! Plus buying their kids special flavor drinks at $6-7? Freaking nuts!
I will admit too spending $5.00 on a milkshake at a Motorama once. And I had 4 of them. I just could not help myself. They were the best tasting milkshake I ever had. Still not sure if the weed had anything to do with it. But man them shakes were the bomb. lol

I think we are still being bamboozled by the manufacturers.....look at federal tss in 20 gauge.

The 7/9 combo load lists for $78
The straight 7 or 9 lists for $65
Yet the 3rd degree 5/6/7 combo load lists for $35.

Why? All 2 are almost identical weight payload of tungsten shot....why does the 3rd degree sell for 1/2 the price? Is it because people want the 7 or 9 but not the 5/6/7 ? Does it come down to what people are willing to pay? That 5/6/7 load should cost the same as the other 2, if not more...yet I see the "3rd degree" ammo for sale at big r for $27/box -- but the 7/9 ammo goes for $75/box ----- why?

Supply & demand?

I think we are still being bamboozled by the manufacturers.....look at federal tss in 20 gauge.

The 7/9 combo load lists for $78
The straight 7 or 9 lists for $65
Yet the 3rd degree 5/6/7 combo load lists for $35.

Why? All 2 are almost identical weight payload of tungsten shot....why does the 3rd degree sell for 1/2 the price? Is it because people want the 7 or 9 but not the 5/6/7 ? Does it come down to what people are willing to pay? That 5/6/7 load should cost the same as the other 2, if not more...yet I see the "3rd degree" ammo for sale at big r for $27/box -- but the 7/9 ammo goes for $75/box ----- why?

Supply & demand?
I believe the 3rd degree 5/6/7 has copper plated lead #5, lead #6, and tungsten #7.

I believe the 3rd degree 5/6/7 has copper plated lead #5, lead #6, and tungsten #7.
Yup- sho nuf-- here is the description in their web page

• Three-stage payload creates optimal patterns for the entire range spectrum
  • 20 percent No. 6 FLITESTOPPER pellets for forgiving close-range patterns
  • 40 percent copper-plated No. 5 lead for lethal performance at mid-range
  • 40 percent HEAVYWEIGHT TSS (18 g/cc) for extra-dense, high-energy patterns at 40-plus yards
  • FLITECONTROL FLEX wad works in all standard and ported turkey chokes and maximizes the flight characteristics of all three shot types
Makes sense now, the box doesn't seem to explain this though -- just says "3rd degree TSS" oh well-- will see how it does in my daughter's 20-- right now she shoots ninja turkey loads
Screenshot_20230525-082811_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Recent Posts