TSS Ammo! R U Kidding Me?

I was looking at the 410's for turkey but after seeing the price of TSS I decided to go with a 20 with Winchester LB #6 shot.
If he's going to use the TSS I would pattern it and then let the kids shoot some lead for practice.
If set up for reloading a 410 you can cut the price down some but still too much in my opinion.
Some may think that I am crazy but I have used heavy field loads (6's &4's) in 410,20,and 12's with a extra full choke and killed many birds.
I definitely don't try anything past 40yds but in the 30-35yd range they drop.
My Grandkids use a couple of Mossberg Bantam 20's like that.

Some may think that I am crazy but I have used heavy field loads (6's &4's) in 410,20,and 12's with a extra full choke and killed many birds.
I definitely don't try anything past 40yds but in the 30-35yd range they drop.
My Grandkids use a couple of Mossberg Bantam 20's like that.
I don't think you're crazy. Of course regular old high brass lead shot will kill a turkey within the 30 yard range but some people 🙄 like to spend money on the next best thing.
I actually bought some TSS for my 20 and the pattern was amazing at 50 yards even though I am a get em close guy.

What's hard to believe is the other day at the farm store, Federal TSS 410 shells were $41 bucks, for 5 rounds. Used to be able to buy an old Stevens 94C hammer single shot 410ga for $75 bucks or less, at a corner Hardware / gun store. If N, brought the Kid along, guy'd usually throw in his first box of shells. Nowadays 10 of those 410ga- TSS rounds be more than the single=shot.

Last edited:
410 has always been expensive and scarce

As I said supply and demand.

When ammo was cheap 5 years ago, you could get a bulk box of cheepo walmart federal or winchester 12 gauge (100 rounds)-- for close to 20 bucks-- no way you'd ever find 100 410 rounds for that price back then--- it was more like $10/box of 25-- right now its more like $20/ box for normal lead ammo

410 has never been cheap-- 12 or 20 has always beat it in price.
The same 12 gauge shells that were $20 at Walmart are now $38