Tss turkey loads

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Larry Jones, Mar 7, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Larry Jones

Larry Jones Member

Has anyone used the new TSS turkey loads yet? I'm particularly interested in best patterning chokes if someone has tested them yet.

2. FlGunner

FlGunner Well-Known Member

I use them in a 20 gauge. 3" #9. Simply lethal. I have taken gobblers out to 52 yds and it's just bang flop. I shot them through a standard turkey choke on a Stoeger M3020 with a 28" barrel. They hit hard and pattern great. I used hand loads a friend made me first but now shoot the Federal Premium heavyweight TSS.

3. scottishkat

scottishkat Well-Known Member

Figunner how are the patterns at 52 are you putting a lot of pellets in the breast and do they just go through? 9 seems very small to me gonna try the 7tss this year. There a bit expensive but I imagine 40 yards with all those pellets.

Larry what are you shooting 12 or 20 ga?

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

4. FlGunner

I don't have a picture of the pattern with the TSS but I'll show you how mine does with a couple other loads that in my opinion were good but nothing like the #9.

5. FlGunner

IMG_20190305_174725501.jpg
    Hevi-Shot Magnum blend at 50 yds, that's a 2" circle

6. FlGunner

Winchester Long Beard XR #5 at 50 yds with a 2" bullseye Screenshot_20190313-210015.png

7. FlGunner

To answer your question, yes they're are small shot but they are very hard and heavy for their size so they hit hard. The pattern is open about at much as and other load as far as diameter but the coverage is so much better because of the higher pellet count. They do seem to pass through the breast. My son killed his first birthday this past Saturday at 35 yds and I only had about 5 in the breast. Only one recovered, the rest passed through.

8. Bstick

Bstick Well-Known Member

TSS is God’s gift to turkey hunters.

They make the old 3” #6 Activs look like regular birdshot.

FlGunner likes this.
  9. Jjlo63

Jjlo63 Active Member LRH Team Member

There is a good video on you tube with a guy comparing turkey loads. He shoots the TSS out to 73 yards it is very impressive. Personally I have tried a lot of choke tubes and turkey loads and long beard xr 3.5 6s out of a Carlson’s xr tube patterns the best for me out of my benelli. I haven’t tried the TSS yet but it looks promising. I’m not sure i will even try them as I’m very happy with my current setup.