TSS Ammo! R U Kidding Me?

They're expensive, but they flat out work. I lucked into a case of 7's locally and my kid does all of his practice with those. Then he shoots one or two TSS's a year. POI is dead on between the two rounds in his .410. I figure he'll be ready for a 20 by the time we burn up the two boxes of TSS I bought two years ago. With TSS technology, the 20 will be as big as he ever needs.

Was picking up some 22 ammo today and saw 410 TSS for $38/box. It's sad when that feels like a good deal. I checked my inventory last night though. Seven rounds left. That'll get my boy through spring of 2025. The 12 gauge 7/9 shot was $62/box!

TSS has become a game changer for me. I'm not the best turkey caller here in North Carolina it's shot gun only. With TSS I can make 70 yard shots with ease. Just look at all the money we spend on the other stuff we use for hunting. 4W drive trucks, SS four wheelers, guns, hunting property. Just makes good since to buy the best ammo. TSS has made it possible for my last two birds 70 plus yards. boom flop. Old Wise Tom is in trouble now.

Trust me that I believe that TSS is a great load for turkey but I have no inclination to shoot a turkey at 50+ yards. I love turkey hunting and think it should be a close range affair. (Like under 40)
I'm not knocking anyone for taking longer shots but I enjoy trying to get them closer.
Good luck to everyone this year!

I work part time at a LGS. A week ago we got 2 cases of .410 ammo in and I put the first one on the shelf,helped a customer and when I went to put the second case up, the first was gone. The TSS even sold out in short order.

The TSS is expensive across the board. I can buy 3 boxes of steel (25 rounds ea.) for the price of a 5 round box of TSS.

A question for you TSS shooters out there. Does the TSS load go thru a turkey choke?

I work part time at a LGS. A week ago we got 2 cases of .410 ammo in and I put the first one on the shelf,helped a customer and when I went to put the second case up, the first was gone. The TSS even sold out in short order.

The TSS is expensive across the board. I can buy 3 boxes of steel (25 rounds ea.) for the price of a 5 round box of TSS.

A question for you TSS shooters out there. Does the TSS load go thru a turkey choke?
I actually use a tighter choke with tss than my standard lead shot turkey loads--- tss doesn't get distorted/squished like lead shot does so ot seems to pattern better with tighter chokes than lead shot loads-- for a recommendation in choke size just contact federal (or whoever's tss ammo you are using)-- they usually know what works best

Last edited:
I had a .410 I bought when my kids first started to shoot. I went to shoot it, and it kicked more than my 20ga.
So I sold it and bought a 20ga, and got some light trap target loads for the kids to get used to. Come dove/quail hunting season, the light loads did fine. When we went turkey hunting, I just swapped some bigger loads in and didn't say a word. Kids never knew the difference.

Same with rifle hunting. My younger daughter practiced with my .25-06AI with a reduced load. Swapped to an identically built .300RUM for her first elk hunt when she was 11. I had some lighter loads worked with a 175SMK @ 3050fps. She dumped her bull and never knew the difference.

I actually use a tighter choke with tss than my standard lead shot turkey loads--- tss doesn't get distorted/squished like lead shot does so ot seems to pattern better with tighter chokes than lead shot loads-- for a recommendation in choke size just contact federal (or whoever's tss ammo you are using)-- they usually know what works best
Thanks,I was curious, because they always said to use mod choke for steel,because it doesn't compress like lead ,so it could damage the gun if you tried to force it thru a full choke. At that time I had a Browning side by side that was full/mod and used steel all the time. No problems.

Never seen much reason for buyN those TSS 410 rounds for $38 bucks for box of five, like $7.50 each is a bit wild on the price markup. Buy a box of Winchester AA Super Sport Sporting Clays 410 bore 2-1/2' and 1/2 oz shot for like $16.99 box 25 rounds. These are 1,300 fps and about the best 410 round on the planet for like $.75 cents each. Take a little metal O-ring pick and just barely open the crimp pour out shot in a bowl. Get out ur TSS #7's, that ya got for $2.60 an ounce, put them in a small bowl and refill ur AA's. Close the crimp closed carefully and the little hole in crimp will disappear. Now that's 1/2 oz of TSS for $1.30 and $.75 for the DoubleAA or $2 bucks a round. .The turkeys can't tell the difference, put the $5 bucks into Fossil Fuel for the 4X4. The 20 ga will put a rakN on a turkey. Usually weigh those out and top with just dry out of the box Steel Cut Oatmeal, Box of 5 takes about 20 minutes. That wax that comes on the outside of the cheddar from Ireland, remelt er+ great for sealN em up. Good Luck on the trail!

Last edited: