Trying to Settle an Argument

Don't ap have colored tips?
when I was a kid, I was given several 30 cal ammo cans with canvas machine gun belts. The bullets had painted tips. Black and every fifth one was red. The red ones were tracers and the black ones were armor piercing. They were WW2 surplus. Needless to say I had fun with that ammo. Only draw back was the primers were corrosive. I had to clean the barrel after every time I shot the it. As far as your bullets, my bet is FMJ.

They look like FMJ projectiles however cut one in half with wire cutters if they have lead cores FMJ if they have steel penetrators then AP.

Hmmm... I wasn't aware that the US made steel jacketed 30 cal ammo. Is it still made, or was that only long ago??

Thanks,
Vettepilot

If the jacket is copper-nickel alloy then a magnet will stick to it like crap to a blanket. Hereabouts is an image of a UK 2p coin hanging off of a magnet with probably enough metal to make the jackets for 3 bullets of 30 cal size. The coins are made from a cupro-nickel alloy.

Attachments

• 2 p coin.JPG
    2 p coin.JPG
    900 KB · Views: 89
Actually no; I don't believe the OP stated that they were US made.

But my question is, did the US make steel jacketed ammo, and does anyone selling projectiles or cartridges in the US currently market steel jacketed 30 caliber ammo? (I am aware of the imported steel jacketed ammo in 7.62x39. What about what we normally call 30 cal? IE: 308, 30.06, 300 win mag, etc.)

Vettepilot

Actually no; I don't believe the OP stated that they were US made.

But my question is, did the US make steel jacketed ammo, and does anyone selling projectiles or cartridges in the US currently market steel jacketed 30 caliber ammo? (I am aware of the imported steel jacketed ammo in 7.62x39. What about what we normally call 30 cal? IE: 308, 30.06, 300 win mag, etc.)

Vettepilot
Federal/Lake city made 149gr m80 ball ammo that had magnetic jackets (bi-metal) but im not sure what era it was from

The 150 gr. is what leads me to think FMJ. There are some AP 30 cal that has an exposed base and weighs 165 grains. Black tips would be a giveaway that they are AP but they could have been removed. Taking a magnet to them will give you your answer as a lot of different AP rounds have been produced over the years for 30 cal
All my .308 ap's are like this. Exposed steel penetrator at the base, 165-168gr, most have black tips but some have just worn off.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.