yuck, bullet argument

Kgkimerer

Ok, going a bit intense here. 243 Win. 85 gr. Sierra, BTHP vs. 87 gr. Hornady V-Max on coyotes. They shoot the same on target. Which will do better on coyotes?

I've shot both through .243's that I had in the past. I have great accuracy with both at 100yds but the 85gn Sierra GK (HPBT) was surprising at 500yds. 3-shot groups hovered around 2", repeatedly, from the Win70 SA HVB that I owned.
In the same sense, the 87gn V-Max was .2-.3" at 100yds with H414/BR2's. These will not be fur friendly!

Love Sierra bullets , but in this case the high BC of the V/Max being 400 should rule the day , pro 243 here, ever watch The Dartman & The Neighbor one used a 338 Laupa & The Neighbor used a 243 Savage rifle , now the Neighbor is updated to a Custom 300 w/mag& Dartman still runs this Savage 338 Lapua magnum , they can be seen on YouTube Longest Coyote ever shot , ps they film them Selves ,cheers !

I'd suspect the Sierra would be more consistent dimensionally, but I'd probably go with the vmax. I'm a sucker for tipped bullets. That's how close they are for what your asking.

I use the 87 Vmax in one of my 243 rifles and it's a lights out !!!! What ever I shoot at. Super accurate!!!!!
But my favorite is the 87 grain Berger hunting VLD !!!!!!! They shoot a ragged hole!!!!!
but either bullet is a great cabbage buster!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.