Trying to Settle an Argument

Buster Hemlock

The 150 gr. is what leads me to think FMJ. There are some AP 30 cal that has an exposed base and weighs 165 grains. Black tips would be a giveaway that they are AP but they could have been removed. Taking a magnet to them will give you your answer as a lot of different AP rounds have been produced over the years for 30 cal

flassen

LRH Team Member
They look amazingly like 147 grain fmj bullets. I believe a magnet will stick to the 147 gr. Fmj bullets.

bullet man

Those are regular fmj they were pulled from ww2 ammo because they don't have a boat tail design on them the ap bullets are 175 gr and they are longer and have a black tip but no boat-tail either. That's how you tell the differences in age anything ww2 and earlier no boattail anything from the late 50's on will have a boattail design

flassen

LRH Team Member
A magnet will also tell you that the bullets may have a GMCS jacket. Meaning gilding metal clad steel jacket. A file will tell you if it has a GMCS jacket, or cut on in two. You will see the steel clad jacket with a solid lead core if they are GMCS bullets.

Russ661

Some FMJ 30 cal bullets have bi-metal jackets which are magnetic so a simple magnet test won’t necessarily be an accurate indicator of bullet type. For what its worth, those look like 147g FMJs to me. AP rounds have black tips, tracers have orange tips.

cohunt

Do they actually weigh150 gr? Or 149?

There were so many different kinds manufactured all over the world its hard to say for sure without some further testing. But the exposed lead base makes them look like fmj with the "bi metal" jackets