Trying to get my .223 to shoot

Lpart

I decided I wanted a .223 for my practice rifle as it is relatively expensive to shoot. Want to use to 600 yards with heavier bullets. I had a rifle built for this. Trued Rem 700, 1-8 Brux barrel #3 26", Greybull Precision stock, timney trigger and bottom metal from Legacy Sports. I was told to look no further than Varget for powder so I bought 8lbs. Working with 80 gr Amax and 77 gr Sierra HPBT. Working best with 24 to 25 gr of Varget but will not even shoot to 1 moa so far, 112 rounds down the tube and I am getting frustrated. Mag length is not issue as I have to 2.8" there. Does anybody have some new ideas for me? Powders or bullets or any little tricks. I thought this would be a 1/2 minute with not problem.

Lpart

I should add that I am using Lapua brass and working with velocities in the 2900 to 2980 range. No pressure issues.

Barrelnut

LRH Team Member
I would suggest changing to a bullet know to work with Varget. Sierra has an "accuracy load" for the 69 Gr. HPBT Matchking. I use it in my .223 and it is very accurate. I find a lot of the Sierra Accuracy loads are like this. Don't even have to do a work up, most times. Just use the load and shoot. It tends to shoot well in several rifles. Bottom line is it's a know good load with Varget in a .223. Might be worth a try.

The load is on page 221 of the PDF in the link below. Goo Luck.
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

fmuguira

+1 with Barrelnut... try a different bullet/s first. I had a similar problem with 75 and 80 gr AMaxes in 22-250 with 1-8 Lila barrel. Tried a bunch of powder and nothing but frustration. Bought a box of 80 gr Berger VLD s and 80 gr MK s and both shot 3/8" group first outing with Sierra accuracy charge and powder recommendation.

Some barrels just don't like certain bullets !

Jeremy Walbert

Sounds like you need to change bullets or powder. My 223 only likes cfe223 or xbr. Total trash with anything else. I did the opposite, bought 500 bullets and looked for a powder.

orangediablo

I'm in the same boat with my AR. I know it's capable of at least .75. Trying to work with TAC and messing with different bullets now. I know it doesn't like 75gr Hornady HPBT, so trying the 69gr SMKs and climbing until I see pressure and hopefully find a good node with it this weekend.

Ckgworks

I used Varget alot, but I need to use a drop funnel to get enough in a case for accuracy loads. Switched to 748 with good results, but when CFE came out I really haven't looked back. For me its worked well in all AR barrels from a Kreiger to a 16" no name milspec. I haven't used much for heavyweights above 69 grain due to mag length restriction. I just put together a Kreiger 1-7.7 with a match chamber, and was amazed at how much the seating depth affected accuracy. I can't remember exact numbers now, but the 69 SMK ended up liking a bit of jump. I would have went right past a really good load if I had started close to the lands like normal. Good luck

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.