Trying to get my .223 to shoot

Not a long range bullet , but a great one. SavageAxis223R.jpg

Sorry for the delay gentlemen. I have had some rain and then the **** wind wouldn't stop. I finally have this rifle shooting! Had to go to the 69 gr Sierra HPBT with 25.3 gr of Varget. Less than 1/2 moa at 200 yard and right at 3000 fps. Shot it to zero this morning at 100 and had 3 shots touching and then tried my Sig 2400 ABS which I had already programmed. Hit everything I shot at out to 549 yards so am now a happy camper. This configured like my full size hunting rifles and will now be my inexpensive to shoot practice gun.

Congrats! Sounds like it just wanted that SMK 69.

Add a 7 twist some day and shoot the SMK 77, TMK 77 and SMK 80. I think you will like the better wind performance.

I have 2 223's, I shoot Nosler Custom Competition 77 gr in. One is a Tikka T3 with 8 twist, it likes 23.8 gr. of Varget. The other 223 is Savage Model 12, with a 7 twist and it likes RL-15 at 23.4 gr. also 77 Nosler CC bullets. Both guns will consistently shoot 1/2 inch groups when I do my part. I would try ONE pound of RL15 and see what happens, you will not have any problems getting rid of the Varget if you need to. The Savage with 80 gr. Sierra MK will actually shoot ONE hole groups and I don't mean a ragged hole, with RL15. Please note I did not pull the trigger on that group, a buddy that has a lot more experience than I did it. Maybe this helps. Daniel

Not meaning to hyjack but it's along the lines of this thread.

Out of a 16" barrel AR about what velocity should I be looking for with the 69 SMK's?

If your rifle will not shoot a 69 - 77gr Sierra MatchKing with .24gr Varget, somethings wrong with the rifle. Get it to your gunsmith and have him fix it.

X2!!! Might need to drop a little below that 24 gr level. What is the twist rate?

I'm a big fan of the cfe.223 also,for all the same reasons already stated,good velocity,load density,easy metering etc. But another powder you may have sitting around to use is BLc2,and 2520 they also have good velocity with those bullet weights. I've tried the TMK in 77gr with great success. They didn't seem to be sensitive about seating depth& were easy to tune in to 1/2 moa at 100 groups...the highest b.c. in that weight I think is the Berger 80.5...or the 80vld. just curious why you didn't go with a 1:7 twist bbl when you had this made? The 90gr sierra's would have been a great 600 yard. bullet w/ a lot higher b.c. than the 80 grainers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.