Trying to identify a “Swiss Mauser”

There is an old post from 2014 that has a lot of detail on identifying old Mausers. Not sure it it is important for your situation. That is a very nice custom 98.

There is an old post from 2014 that has a lot of detail on identifying old Mausers. Not sure it it is important for your situation. That is a very nice custom 98.

You referring to this article?

Thank you very much I hadn't noticed that one tiny mark, and that gives me a lot more insight because this rifle came out of a man's collection that was chock full of old custom rifles and this one stood out as interesting so it had to come home with me
As converted rifles go the Siamese (the early Siamese rifles were Mausers) are very good conversation for the 45.70 cartridge taking some very high pressure in the 45.70 from I understand. Your rifle might have been chambered originally in the 8x52mmR Siamese.

History note:
The first Siamese Mauser used the Gewehr 98 bolt with the cock-on-open action, but removed the recoil lug with the narrower lines of the Mauser model of 1896. Some features and characteristics of the Japanese Type 35 rifle (under development in the same arsenal at that time) were also incorporated, such as the sliding dust cover and long wrist tangs. Some Siamese Type 46 rifles also have a split buttstock common on Arisaka rifles. Although the design was licensed from Mauser, none of the components of the Siamese rifles are interchangeable with other Mauser rifles.[1]

Good luck with it. Cheers.

The person that worked over that rifle did an excellance job. The safety, you can't or I believe you can't get that stile of safety release for mauser action any longer. while at it if somebody know where that stile of safety release is available please advise. Especially left and right handed stile.
The only reasons I change to Rem 700 action, was because of TriggerTeck triggers. The safey on the rem suck.
Dayton Triaster Oak Harbor WA.

Yes, I was referring to that article. My Mauser has the safety like yours but the one I have is
polished not blued and it's been in there a long time. I don't know if that article helps you at all but it has a lot of detail for determining the model. I bought my particular Mauser in the 60's from Sears if you can believe it. It has worn a stock I originally made from a blank but currently has a composite stock I changed to when I rebarrelled it a couple of years ago.

Siamese Mauser Crest
Found on top of front receiver ring.

Attachments

• IMG_8534.jpeg
    IMG_8534.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8533.jpeg
    IMG_8533.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 36
Husqvarna never made any 98 style actions. All of the 98 style actions on Husqvarna rifles were made by FN in Herstal, Belgium, same as they did for Sears (J.C. Higgins brand) Model 50 and 51 rifles.

Tagging in because I've got a mauser I'd like to find a safety for but want to make sure I get the right one.
Don't know much about it except it's nice to shoot. Like to get the safety and have it completed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 35
Wow, that is a beefy barrel. The end of the barrel looks like it is rising out of the forend of the stock. Maybe not inletted level in the stock. Look at the last photo. Maybe optical illusion?