Trying to identify a “Swiss Mauser”

jshasteen69

I bought a rifle from a widow last weekend one of 50 long guns in the man's armory which had a piece of paper wich stated the rifle is a Swiss Mauser chambered in 45-70 govt, the issue I'm having is that the gun has a really fat hexagonal super smooth barrel on it which has no markings nor does the gun or stock themselves the only way I could identify it as a Mauser was by the bolt design, the best I've been able to guess is that it may be a custom rechambered Siamese mauser

Pictures of the overall rifle left and right then as many detail shots of the receiver and bolt as you can make. Your description doesn't help but many pictures will.

;)

IMG_3540.jpeg
IMG_3539.jpeg
IMG_3537.jpeg
IMG_3536.jpeg
IMG_3538.jpeg
IMG_3541.jpeg

Excellent job photographing your rifle! The details are good for helping in the attempt to identify the action. I cropped and lightened this last one:

1698569601852.png

I bought a rifle from a widow last weekend one of 50 long guns in the man's armory which had a piece of paper wich stated the rifle is a Swiss Mauser chambered in 45-70 govt, the issue I'm having is that the gun has a really fat hexagonal super smooth barrel on it which has no markings nor does the gun or stock themselves the only way I could identify it as a Mauser was by the bolt design, the best I've been able to guess is that it may be a custom rechambered Siamese mauser

Originally, the Siamese Mausers had dust covers on the actions which could be slid from front to back:

1698570093961.jpeg

Note the presence of the Chrysanthemum crest on the front ring. Far too many Siamese Mausers were 'sanitized' by sanding off the markings and used for making .45-70 rifles. This was touted as being an amateur project for which we now have literally hundred of unfinished attempts relegated to some closet or basement as failures. You are lucky yours feeds at all.

1698570698625.png

Note the two oval indentions on the action which are the stop points for the dust cover.

Also note this marking as seen on your action (not the numbers...):

1698571042767.jpeg

Your action has been modified and highly polished which does more damage to identification than almost any except machining.

Personally I would remove the barreled action from the stock and look for proof marks on the bottom of the action. You can also remove the scope mounts to check both the front and rear action rings. There are volumes written on the various models of Siamese Mausers so I won't try to accomplish everything on your rifle in one short post.

Best of Luck!

:)

Excellent job photographing your rifle! The details are good for helping in the attempt to identify the action. I cropped and lightened this last one:

View attachment 506200

Originally, the Siamese Mausers had dust covers on the actions which could be slid from front to back:

View attachment 506201

Note the presence of the Chrysanthemum crest on the front ring. Far too many Siamese Mausers were 'sanitized' by sanding off the markings and used for making .45-70 rifles. This was touted as being an amateur project for which we now have literally hundred of unfinished attempts relegated to some closet or basement as failures. You are lucky yours feeds at all.

View attachment 506202

Note the two oval indentions on the action which are the stop points for the dust cover.

Also note this marking as seen on your action (not the numbers...):

View attachment 506203

Your action has been modified and highly polished which does more damage to identification than almost any except machining.

Personally I would remove the barreled action from the stock and look for proof marks on the bottom of the action. You can also remove the scope mounts to check both the front and rear action rings. There are volumes written on the various models of Siamese Mausers so I won't try to accomplish everything on your rifle in one short post.

Best of Luck!

:)
Yep, nailed it... Siamese Mausers .

Yep, nailed it... Siamese Mausers .
Thank you very much I hadn't noticed that one tiny mark, and that gives me a lot more insight because this rifle came out of a man's collection that was chock full of old custom rifles and this one stood out as interesting so it had to come home with me

Almost all 45-70 chambered Mauser sporter conversions are Siamese based, as this particular Mauser was designed to shoot a rimmed cartridge, the Siamese 8X50mmR and 8X52mmR.

The person that worked over that rifle did an excellance job. The safety, you can't or I believe you can't get that stile of safety release for mauser action any longer. while at it if somebody know where that stile of safety release is available please advise. Especially left and right handed stile.
The only reasons I change to Rem 700 action, was because of TriggerTeck triggers. The safey on the rem suck.

The person that worked over that rifle did an excellance job. The safety, you can't or I believe you can't get that stile of safety release for mauser action any longer. while at it if somebody know where that stile of safety release is available please advise. Especially left and right handed stile.
The only reasons I change to Rem 700 action, was because of TriggerTeck triggers. The safey on the rem suck.
Sarco has them:

However, the three position safety ala Model 70 is far superior:

I don't know if is a Swiss Mauser but the bolt configuration, handle contour and safety are identical to my sporterized custom Mauser I have owned for 60 years, a large ring 98. This rifle has been rebarrelled at some point and looks to be a very nice job. My particular rifle is on its third barrel since it shoots so well. It has the same low safety , a Timney trigger and a speed lock firing pin assembly. Not sure you can get that anymore. You should shoot this and enjoy it! You don't See many of these anymore. Mine will go to my grandson when I pass.