Siamese Mauser to 45-70

jbeck, I taped a popsicle stick to the left side of the follower (Shell holder) which pushes the complete follower to the right & keeps the shells under the sides (lips) of the action at the top of the magazine box. You may need to adjust the size of the piece of wood till the follower is far enough to the right to hold the shells under the lips & prevents them from popping up out of the magazine box wildly into the action. Once you have the correct size make a piece of metal stock the same width then weld that piece to the side of the follower, see my photos. You are just installing a spacer on the left side to keep the follower pushed to the right to hold the shells under the action ramps or lips. Once you find the correct size any welder at a machine shop can do the welding for you. As you can see mine wasn't the prettiest but it functions. The other thing is to polish the feed ramp on the front of the magazine box so the point of the bullet slides forward more smoothly vs. trying to jump a curb per say. Make it match the dimple or ramp on the action so it is a smooth push up the ramp forward vs. binding or running into a wall.
Good morning Mister Siggy32. I have been searching for a Siamese follower, but they are like finding a unicorn; none to be found. I have done a bit of polishing and can sometimes get 2 shells to cycle, but all the time.I have been told by proessionals that I am not mechaniclly inclined. Now you know. I just need to know exactly where to weld' I maybe need where you taped a popcycle stick to and how did it stay put when cycling the action? You sent good pics,but if you could, maybe a pic that shows exactly where the stick goes. Also, what is the PM ? Thanks for your patience.

Ok, photos 007.jpg & 009.jpg (Will be #2 & #3 when you tap on the photos to get a closer look) show where the stick or welded piece is placed on the left side of the follower. As you would mount the rifle to shoot , it is on the left side so it pushes the follower to the right. Photo 007.jpeg has yellow lines pointing out the new piece of metal welded to the left side of the follower. I Suggest you use a paint stick cut to length to fit in the magazine box on the left side & try your follower. IF too tight or won't fit sand the side of the paint stick till you get the correct width to hold the follower over & hold your shells. That way you don't have to tape it to the left side of the follower but you will get the same effect. Not to be rude but if you can't figure this out, you truly should take your rifle to a gunsmith. You can print the pages & photos to show him what you want done.

Greetings gents!
I am currently building a siamese into a 45/90. I finished one in 45/70, and made the mistake of letting my tiny wife shoot it. She has proclaimed it "HER hog and bear rifle", so that leaves me with the happy issue of building an action a friend found in his pile.
My question is, being i cant for the life of me recall where i got the first barrel, where should i shop for a second one.
Im looking to make this one a 30" or longer barrel so my wife is less apt to become enamored with it as well.
I am a smith for a local shop.

When I was a Senior in High School (1975) I had a very good shop teacher. I was allowed to build a Siamese Mauser into a 45-70. There were 4 rifles built in shop class that year. We test fired them out the back of the shop across the football field. It was a small rural town school. I always had trouble with feeding shells, they would pop up as you describe. So when I got old I went back to the rifle & determined it was not centering the cartridge. I taped a pop sickle stick along the side of the follower which centered it & all worked. So I welded a piece of metal along the side & dressed it up, this keeps the follower centered & keeps the round under the feed ramp. It feeds correctly with no problems now. I also polished the feed ramp on the magazine box so the round feeds better. Attached are photos of the fix.
i see this old post. Great info! I did a similar thing with mine

Good morning Mister Siggy32. I have been searching for a Siamese follower, but they are like finding a unicorn; none to be found. I have done a bit of polishing and can sometimes get 2 shells to cycle, but all the time.I have been told by proessionals that I am not mechaniclly inclined. Now you know. I just need to know exactly where to weld' I maybe need where you taped a popcycle stick to and how did it stay put when cycling the action? You sent good pics,but if you could, maybe a pic that shows exactly where the stick goes. Also, what is the PM ? Thanks for your patience.
Recentl, my aging uncle generously gifted some rifles to his nephews. I was blessed with a sporterized Siamese Mauser 45-70 out of his collection.

I discovered the same issue with bullets popping up. I ended up polishing the magazine and follower everywhere I could and started using nickel plated cases.

Now if I load the magazine carefully and correctly with 4 rounds and then look the 1st one into the claw and close it home....I can shoot 1 and cycle 2 more without error. When I eject the 3rd shot the 4th round in the magazine always pops out. I should say the last round always pops out because if I only loaded 2.....the 2nd and only round in the mag will pop out. I think the follower spring is strong and the weight of 2 and 3 shells keeps it from forcing multiple rounds out.

So a 3 shot tac driver out to 200 yards or so with Hornady 325 gummy bullets is really impressive....and if my cul-de-sac happens to require a Rouge elephant to be dealt with....IM THE GUY!

TRY MY TRICK WITH POLISHING AND NICKEL CASES.

16397022068904835473923579666073.jpg

Recentl, my aging uncle generously gifted some rifles to his nephews. I was blessed with a sporterized Siamese Mauser 45-70 out of his collection.

I discovered the same issue with bullets popping up. I ended up polishing the magazine and follower everywhere I could and started using nickel plated cases.

Now if I load the magazine carefully and correctly with 4 rounds and then look the 1st one into the claw and close it home....I can shoot 1 and cycle 2 more without error. When I eject the 3rd shot the 4th round in the magazine always pops out. I should say the last round always pops out because if I only loaded 2.....the 2nd and only round in the mag will pop out. I think the follower spring is strong and the weight of 2 and 3 shells keeps it from forcing multiple rounds out.

So a 3 shot tac driver out to 200 yards or so with Hornady 325 gummy bullets is really impressive....and if my cul-de-sac happens to require a Rouge elephant to be dealt with....IM THE GUY!

TRY MY TRICK WITH POLISHING AND NICKEL CASES.
Rogue elephant on your cul-de-sac?
A Rouge one will have pink cheeks from its makeup. Easy to spot. They aren't dangerous….😜

So... I have a Siamese Mauser 45-70 Sporterised by Navy Arms back in the 70's. They did not do a very pretty job at all. It has been sitting in the back of my safe for years. I always meant to take it to an old friend that is a 5th generation Barretta Gunsmith. Well, I put it off way to long. Mike is 96 years old now and not able to do it now.

BTW, I do have a couple of old Ariska's that were cannibalized. I will look to see how similar those followers are.

If you have feed issues , you need a follower designed for a rimmed cartridge, like the .303.
So... I have a Siamese Mauser 45-70 Sporterised by Navy Arms back in the 70's. They did not do a very pretty job at all. It has been sitting in the back of my safe for years. I always meant to take it to an old friend that is a 5th generation Barretta Gunsmith. Well, I put it off way to long. Mike is 96 years old now and not able to do it now.

BTW, I do have a couple of old Ariska's that were cannibalized. I will look to see how similar those followers are.

I was also a senior in high school in 1975, and I would have given anything to go to a school where they let you build rifles in shop class.
I went to high school in late 80's. A guy stocked a rifle in woodshop. Honestly, we never thought anything about it. I learned about it when the shop teacher introduced him as a student doing an advanced wood shop self directed project. The student was working on it during our class so they were introduced to the class. I went to a high school in Billing MT.

Back to the OP. If it were me, that is an issue for an old school gunsmith. That is those guys that just know how to make stuff work. I'm guessing Dennis Olson out of Plains, MT could make that feed, if it is possible at all.