Trying to get my .223 to shoot

like the above said lots of other choices, my rifle likes H4895 and 69 gr tmk. at over 3K 24" barrel, it does 600yds fine.

I decided I wanted a .223 for my practice rifle as it is relatively expensive to shoot. Want to use to 600 yards with heavier bullets. I had a rifle built for this. Trued Rem 700, 1-8 Brux barrel #3 26", Greybull Precision stock, timney trigger and bottom metal from Legacy Sports. I was told to look no further than Varget for powder so I bought 8lbs. Working with 80 gr Amax and 77 gr Sierra HPBT. Working best with 24 to 25 gr of Varget but will not even shoot to 1 moa so far, 112 rounds down the tube and I am getting frustrated. Mag length is not issue as I have to 2.8" there. Does anybody have some new ideas for me? Powders or bullets or any little tricks. I thought this would be a 1/2 minute with not problem.
I would think

I decided I wanted a .223 for my practice rifle as it is relatively expensive to shoot. Want to use to 600 yards with heavier bullets. I had a rifle built for this. Trued Rem 700, 1-8 Brux barrel #3 26", Greybull Precision stock, timney trigger and bottom metal from Legacy Sports. I was told to look no further than Varget for powder so I bought 8lbs. Working with 80 gr Amax and 77 gr Sierra HPBT. Working best with 24 to 25 gr of Varget but will not even shoot to 1 moa so far, 112 rounds down the tube and I am getting frustrated. Mag length is not issue as I have to 2.8" there. Does anybody have some new ideas for me? Powders or bullets or any little tricks. I thought this would be a 1/2 minute with not problem.
I would think with that heavy of a bullet it would slow down enough at that range that it would be unstable try a little lighter bullet and see if that help

Think the OP is Varget heavy. doesn't need powder suggestions.

If he wants to send the jug - O- Varget to me, then ya'll have at it.....:D

I'm shooting a 75 grn ELDM with CCI 450 primers and24.5 grn of 8208. I'm running Lapua brass as well. My velocity is 2985 and SD of 4.

For bolt actions, Varget should work but other powders will also work. Look at the pressures and velocities for a clue as to what powders work best. There are normally 4 or 5 choices that will give great accuracy and velocities but you just have to try and see which one your rifle likes. Don't use 5.56x45 data because it is a little hot unless your running the 223 Wylde chamber.

When loading for gas guns, Gas port pressures are very important. each load combination produces different pressures and harmonics based on gas port location and size, so being able to adjust this pressure is very important. I don't consider myself an expert on gas guns, but I have found that an adjustable gas block can make a huge difference especially if you reload. (Factory ammo is tailored to a standard port pressure and functions well/ok in fixed port blocks. but when loads are altered, port pressures change so an adjustable gas block is needed. I prefer gas blocks that vent the unwanted gas out instead of the kind that impinges on the gas port to reduce the amount of pressure the bolt sees.

Just a though if you reload for gas guns.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.