Trying to finalize build

What do y'all think? Hunting Rifle out to 500, might try to get into a little 1000 yard shooting at the range though just for fun and practice

308 Norma Magnum

Remington 700 Mag Action Blueprinted and Trued -2lbs 7 oz

Trigger Tech or Timney Trigger

Bell and Carlson Weatherby Style Stock -2lbs 4 oz

Kreiger 25 inch chromoly barrel, Fluted, cerakoted

Deciding between 4 and 5 contour. Difference in 3.5 vs 4 pounds unfluted

Probably 4 groove vs 5R. Trying to decide between 1 and 10 and 1 and 9 Twist. Probably going to shoot whatever shoots best of 200 or 212 ELDX, unless Accubond LR or Berger shoot a lot better.

Skeekins Precision Muzzle Brake

I have it weighing in at 8lbs 7 oz after fluting if I go with a 5 contour. I would really like to have it at 8 lbs 0 oz but I don't know if I need the extra barrel diameter. I want something comparable , or maybe a little lighter than the Weatherby Accumark at 8 lbs 3 oz. I also don't want it muzzle heavy, I would like to feel comfortable off hand with it if needed.

Probably going to go with Leupokd Vx3i 6.5-20. 30 mm tube... haven't decided on 40 of 50 mm

Any thoughts would be appreciated ! Thx!

I would do a .300 Win Mag instead of the Norma. Much easier to find dies/brass, and if you ever decide to sell it you'd have an easier time. But if you want something different, go for the Norma mag. Performance will be very similar.

#4 fluted would be perfect for this kind of rifle.

6.5-20x is a bit much for a hunting rifle in my opinion. Although 20x is nicer for shooting 200-yard groups on paper, it is pretty useless on game. Too hard to find the critters with such a narrow field of view. The 4.5-14x would be my choice. I like the VX-3i quite a bit.

For shooting the heavy bullets I would go 1:9 twist.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted on how it turns out.

At those ranges I'd just run a 308 Win vs the Norma. If you're set on a magnum get a 300 WM. Way more factory ammo/brass/dies and load data available.

Go with the #4 contour, you'll be in the 8.25 lb. range with the B&C stock. #4 and #5 both have the same accuracy potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts