Finally got around to trying Berger bullets.....

dysfunction8

My go-to rifle right now a sporterized U.S. Model of 1917, with the original 5 groove left hand twist barrel that has been shortened to 22" with a target crown. This rifle was sportered back in the 60's-70's, and when I picked it up (for the sum of $188), it featured a Johnson Automatic's muzzle brake and a Buehler scope mount. The brake is gone now, but the Buehler scope mount still remains. Previously I had gotten Nosler BT's to shoot reasonably well out of it.
IMG_20150525_121448702_zpskax87stf.jpg

I bought some 168gr Bergers while they were on sale at Midway a while back. I loaded them up with all of 50gr of IMR4350, just to test the OAL like Berger suggests......well, I finally got around to to shooting them today, and boy was I surprised!
IMG_20160410_174159889_zpsafwwczsh.jpg
This is by far the tightest group I've gotten out of this nearly 100 year old rifle. I can't wait to try and stretch the legs of this round now to see what it groups at 200 and 300 yards. Needless to say, but I'm sold on these things. Maybe I finally have a bullet that I can use to work up to shooting at 500+ yards! I just need to see if it'll stay as accurate while upping the velocity a little (was shooting at all of 2300fps). I may end up giving the 185gr bullets a try too just to see how well they work.

I use 175 OTM Tactical in my 308. They are good to just past a grand. When I had the rifle put together, I asked my gunsmith and friend, Chuck McIntosh, at Mac's Gun Works, to please work up a load that will do double duty as a target round as well as a good hunting round. I questioned him at first, but after seeing what it would do at the range I started feeling pretty confident. Come antelope season though, I saw how downright devastating this round is and will never question his judgement again. HaHa.

Tex

I use 175 OTM Tactical in my 308. They are good to just past a grand. When I had the rifle put together, I asked my gunsmith and friend, Chuck McIntosh, at Mac's Gun Works, to please work up a load that will do double duty as a target round as well as a good hunting round. I questioned him at first, but after seeing what it would do at the range I started feeling pretty confident. Come antelope season though, I saw how downright devastating this round is and will never question his judgement again. HaHa.

Tex

If you dont mind sharing, how long was the shot on that antelope? I wouldn't think their tougher jacketed tactical line would perform like their hunting bullets, but then again, I've been wrong plenty before

The distance for my antelope was right at 250yds. I guide hunters here on the ranch and will let clients use it if they happen to show up with a rifle they aren't comfortable shooting, which happens alot more than you'd think. This past season there were five goats taken using my rifle, with shots between 150yds and 350yds. Every animal was harvested with one shot right in the boiler room and the destruction was phenomenal. The vitals were literally turned to mush.

The first pic is of the exit wound on my antelope.
The second is a pic I took when I was checking "0" on my rifle at the range. I had a two shot warm up and the next three shots are what you see.
Pic three is the dope chart, Chuck, worked up for me.

Tex

Attachments

• 20151014_100909.jpg
    20151014_100909.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20150529_174607-2.jpg
    20150529_174607-2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 99
  • 20141206_185420-2.jpg
    20141206_185420-2.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 155
The distance for my antelope was right at 250yds. I guide hunters here on the ranch and will let clients use it if they happen to show up with a rifle they aren't comfortable shooting, which happens alot more than you'd think. This past season there were five goats taken using my rifle, with shots between 150yds and 350yds. Every animal was harvested with one shot right in the boiler room and the destruction was phenomenal. The vitals were literally turned to mush.

The first pic is of the exit wound on my antelope.
The second is a pic I took when I was checking "0" on my rifle at the range. I had a two shot warm up and the next three shots are what you see.
Pic three is the dope chart, Chuck, worked up for me.

Tex

That's one heck of an exit wound.....might be worth looking at that line as well. Thanks for sharing!

Don't take this as me picking on you because I'm not but... .

Seeing that kind of an exit wound on an animal absolutely nauseates me.

Thankfully that was a gut shot because if it had been through the neck or shoulders the amount of wasted meat would be horrendous.

I'm glad these pullets shoot well for you in your rifle but this is exactly why I will only shoot premium bullets designed as hunting bullets.

On a more pleasant note post some pictures of your rifle. It's as much a piece of history as the K98 Mauser or 03-A3

Don't take this as me picking on you because I'm not but... .

Seeing that kind of an exit wound on an animal absolutely nauseates me.

Thankfully that was a gut shot because if it had been through the neck or shoulders the amount of wasted meat would be horrendous.

I'm glad these pullets shoot well for you in your rifle but this is exactly why I will only shoot premium bullets designed as hunting bullets.

On a more pleasant note post some pictures of your rifle. It's as much a piece of history as the K98 Mauser or 03-A3

Yes, it is a heck of an exit wound, but if you will look again, you can see the exit wound is about three ribs forward from the back ribs and was definitely not 'gutshot'. It was a quartering shot with the bullet entering directly behind the left shoulder. I'm not sure what a premium hunting bullet would do to an antelope, but truth be told, anything more than a .243 is overkill.

Tex

Yes, it is a heck of an exit wound, but if you will look again, you can see the exit wound is about three ribs forward from the back ribs and was definitely not 'gutshot'. It was a quartering shot with the bullet entering directly behind the left shoulder. I'm not sure what a premium hunting bullet would do to an antelope, but truth be told, anything more than a .243 is overkill.

Tex
Most of them will leave roughly a golf ball sized hole or smaller on exit.

It's very fortunate you missed the shoulders.

I shot my first Pronghorn near Claunch, New Mexico in 1973 so I have a bit of experience with them. My preferred bullet of choice is the Hornady Interbond.

I've always been impressed with how tough the pronghorn is how good the tamales are we always had made from them.

since you asked, here they are.....it's nothing special, but I got it cheap and it fits me well, and shoots half decent. It's been my science experiment since I got it. Not only was it my first bolt action rifle, it was my first butt pad fitting, my first stock bedding, and scope mounting.....at some point when I get the tools and some know how, I'll practice checkering on that old Bishop stock it's still wearing. The stock has seen better days, and is missing some small pieces, but it still works, and I'm not too worried about dinging it up in the woods.

IMG_20160415_183638198_zpsfmwlrn4z.jpg

IMG_20160415_183643541_zpszofn2tzy.jpg

IMG_20160415_183654133_zpsbod3nct1.jpg

IMG_20160415_183727399_zpskhlclfum.jpg

IMG_20160415_183731976_zpswxjj8wnk.jpg

IMG_20160415_184019284_zpsre8czzfj.jpg

IMG_20160415_184042494_zpsspbwzilm.jpg

Once this barrel is done, it'll get re-chambered in 308 Norma Magnum. I have a thing for sportered mil-surps and older cartridges.....besides, with the weight of the rife, I figure it'll make a good fast .30 rifle

Oh, please excuse the messy bench. Also, you know how hard it is to find a short version of a Buehler scope mount for a U.S. Model of 1917? Took me a couple years to come across one.......now I just need to find a set of Buehler 30mm rings for a solid scope upgrade.......that Vortex Crossfire works for hunting at 300 yards, but I really want to start learning how to stretch the rifles legs

May 1918 is what it comes back as......some day I'll grab one up in original trim, just for fun. Too bad I can't date my Mauser the same way.....they've all been captures or rearsenalled by other countries

May 1918 is what it comes back as......some day I'll grab one up in original trim, just for fun. Too bad I can't date my Mauser the same way.....they've all been captures or rearsenalled by other countries
Nice. Some of the Mauser's can be dated if they are original German military issue. They had some identifying stamps on the action itself.

If I were you I'd never let that one get away and make sure your heirs know it's place in firearms history.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.