truing action on factory rifle?

cdn shooter

I was reading a thread on rebarrelling a factory rifle and someone mentioned that alot of factory rifles suffer inaccuracy due to improperly aligned actions or bolt lugs. The question I have is could a person true a factory action, lets say a savage and then reinstall the factory barrel. What I have is a factory heavy barrel savage that shoots .5 moa but I would like better and dont have the money to shell out for a full blown custom. Also what does this sort of job usually cost. Any help getting me closer to the .25 would be much appreciated.

I read the post linked and agree with everything they do. I do the same things plus a little more to a Savage to accurize it. I square the receiver face and internal locking lugs true to the axial alignment of the bolt bore, true the locking nut face perpendicular to the existing threads, true the bolt lugs and bolt face parrallel to one another and true to the bolt head axis, and re-crown the barrel true to the bore. I then use a Holland precision ground recoil lug and and either glass bed or preferably pillar bed the action with a 100% free floated barrel back to the recoil lug, then set the headspace to zero. I then adjust the factory trigger to get very little creep, no over travel and set the trigger pull weight to a minimum of 3 lbs. as long as it is safe. For a lower trigger weight I would reccomend getting a aftermarket trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply or Rifle Basix. I do this Savage Accuracy Package with glass bed for $250 and Pillar Bed for $310. I don't bed rifles with the factory synthetic stock as they are too flimsy and not a good choice for top accuracy. Wood, laminate or fiberglass is the preferable choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.