Truing action

Remtac

Hello I recently purchased a Remington700 sps varmint in .243cal .i sent out the barrel to be cut down to 24" and muzzle threaded for a brake and had it cerakoted . I dropped the barrel and action inside a Grayboe renegade stock . I'm shooting 90grain lapua scenar's that groups .413" at 100 yards , my question is will that grouping improve if I get the action trued?

Hello I recently purchased a Remington700 sps varmint in .243cal .i sent out the barrel to be cut down to 24" and muzzle threaded for a brake and had it cerakoted . I dropped the barrel and action inside a Grayboe renegade stock . I'm shooting 90grain lapua scenar's that groups .413" at 100 yards , my question is will that grouping improve if I get the action trued?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Blueprinting an action when done by a competent/reputable gunsmith never hurts as it is all about precision mating of all the components.

Having said that, "I" would have waited until it's time to re-barrel and get a custom barrel for it along with thicker precision recoil lug, trigger, etc., unless it is not shooting as advertised ... but that's just me.

Blueprinting an action when done by a competent/reputable gunsmith never hurts as it is all about precision mating of all the components.

Having said that, "I" would have waited until it's time to re-barrel and get a custom barrel for it along with thicker precision recoil lug, trigger, etc., unless it is not shooting as advertised ... but that's just me.

I have to agree with FEENIX.

You are already shooting under .5" at 100 yds. How much are you willing to spend for another .25"?

Personally, I would shoot the rifle and have fun. If you can get your group size down .25 moa, that is a 2.5" improvement at 1000 yds. Any money you want to spend will be better spent shooting and learning to read/adjust for the wind. A minor error in your wind estimation will make a lot more difference than 2.5" at 1000 yds.

You have to remember that you are part of your precision rig and while we never like to admit it, we are usually the least precise part of the rig. Wind calls are seldom, if ever, perfect. Spend your money on ammo components and have some fun. Learn to read the wind and how it affects your chosen round. Then when you shoot that barrel out, upgrade to a match grade barrel and any other upgraded components you may want. The only thing I would consider upgrading before that would be a nice trigger if I did not like the current trigger.

FWIW,

I agree with the previous posts. Have the action blueprinted when its time for a new barrel. Check out a trigger change. If you can shoot it through a chronograph. A primer change or new firing pin spring may help tighten your group at less cost. Have fun and learn to read the wind. Good Luck on this adventure.

You are already shooting under .5" at 100 yds. How much are you willing to spend for another .25"?

Personally, I would shoot the rifle and have fun. If you can get your group size down .25 moa, that is a 2.5" improvement at 1000 yds. Any money you want to spend will be better spent shooting and learning to read/adjust for the wind. A minor error in your wind estimation will make a lot more difference than 2.5" at 1000 yds.

You have to remember that you are part of your precision rig and while we never like to admit it, we are usually the least precise part of the rig. Wind calls are seldom, if ever, perfect. Spend your money on ammo components and have some fun. Learn to read the wind and how it affects your chosen round. Then when you shoot that barrel out, upgrade to a match grade barrel and any other upgraded components you may want. The only thing I would consider upgrading before that would be a nice trigger if I did not like the current trigger.

FWIW,

Yeah I forgot to mention it has a pretty good trigger well better then the Remington stock trigger . I have installed the trigger tech trigger , it breaks very nice love it . Also have a timney 510 on my other rifle . Yeah so good idea I will wait till I burn out the barrel before getting it blueprinted .

+1.

Id also recommend talking with your smith in detail about how he will true your action just to be sure you both are on the same page.

Remtac,

Question about your rig. What cartridge holder is that you have, I've seen those and similar ones on others rigs??

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.