Action truing fixture

Hopefully my post was helpful then. In my tenure as a fabricator in a racing engine shop and in Vintage Road Racing I've been down the road of trying to weld castings as diverse as an GM Iron Duke engine block, Dana axle housings, VW torsion bar housings, AL Spring Car Cyl heads, and a 1926 Buick exhaust manifold.

My guess would be that the backing palte is not cast iron, but rather cast "semi-steel" and my couple few efforts of welding on that class of metal is not good. From my admittedly limited exposure it is more like the range of cast irons that don't weld than it is like the range of cast steels (Dana & VW parts) that do weld nicely.

Hopefully my post was helpful then. In my tenure as a fabricator in a racing engine shop and in Vintage Road Racing I've been down the road of trying to weld castings as diverse as an GM Iron Duke engine block, Dana axle housings, VW torsion bar housings, AL Spring Car Cyl heads, and a 1926 Buick exhaust manifold.

My guess would be that the backing palte is not cast iron, but rather cast "semi-steel" and my couple few efforts of welding on that class of metal is not good. From my admittedly limited exposure it is more like the range of cast irons that don't weld than it is like the range of cast steels (Dana & VW parts) that do weld nicely.
Definitely helpful. I guarantee you know more than I do. I think out loud a lot on here to get answers. Some dumb questions.... others, well, dumber questions :) Trying to make a better mouse trap

Ordered grub screws for my bolt truing jig 3 weeks ago and still haven't got them! Post more info after they are here and I can test the system.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts