Trouble with 243 dies

300Rummy

Has anyone had trouble with an expander button wearing out, or not working properly? I have a set of lyman dies that worked flawlessly last year, when I made some fresh rounds for my sons 243 I noticed bullet seating was without the normal resistance, I can pull the bullets out with my fingers, or put them in as well, all bullets mic properly. I took the resizing die apart and cleaned and checked it but still no good, any suggestions? Never had this to happen before.

Suggest annealing a couple and running them through the dies,the problem could be the brass is too hard..

Rummy ,

If the "expander button " wore out it would cause you to have greater tension on your bullet not less .

As Sullijr suggested the brass could be the culprit.

Jim B.

They are Lyman AA two die set. I inspect case, clean case mouth with brush, role on lube pad then resize, as I always have, nothing different other than the bullets being loose.

It made a difference for sure, it's like it crimped the end or something, bullet won't go in, but I didn't try pressing in with press, so what do you think now?

I'd have to ask what is the inside diameter of the case mouth after sizing ea way?? It should be about .003" under the bullet diameter or about .240. If you have your expander ball out of the case can you measure it?? It should be just under the caliber diameter....maybe .001"

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.