Trouble sizing 7mm Weatherby brass

I agree with DrVette. Make sure they are trimmed to minimum length. All of the brass you are resizing in the shoulder and body has to go somewhere and the only option is into the neck of the case.

cape cove,

I do have a factory .300 Weatherby Euromark and load for it. Were you thinking of some way to use that die?
What you could try is running your 7mm case all the way up the 300 Wea die and see if this cures your problem. Make sure the shell holder is flush against the die. Doing this you may get this area in front of the belt sized to make easy chambering and being the 300 Weatherby case is much longer than the 7mm case you don't have to worry about pushing the shoulder of your 7mm brass back. Worth a try.

Add: If the area in front of your belt isn't the problem then the Willis die will do no good. I have this die and it only sizes ( appx 1/4") the portion of the case north of the belt. FYI

Last edited:
Ok, too much misinformation being bandied about here.
Willis die ain't gonna fix the issue.
Here's what you do, if your die has an expander ball fitted, either remove it or screw it up so the recapping pin is just inside the die mouth.
Without adjusting the die, using the shortest shell holder, place a .005" feeler gauge under the case head. Size a case, clean the lube off and try to chamber it... if it chambers all good. If not, try a .008" feeler gauge, repeat and if it still won't chamber, try a .010" feeler gauge.
You need a new case each time for it to have merit, because the spring back will change if you use the same case each time.

Cheers.
P. S.
Get a normal RCBS shell holder and have .010" turned off the TOP of it, keep it with that die set.

I had a custom 7mm bee put together for me a number of years ago. The guys on this forum helped a lot in selecting components, etc. I initially bought 7 boxes of new unprimed weatherby brass and one box of weatherby factory ammo for a baseline. When I shot the fact ammo for the first time, I was surprised that it took a little pressure on the bolt handle to close it. Usually fact ammo is minimum size. After the first loading of the new brass, I used a full length Forster die and a Redding comp shell holder set with the intent of bumping the shoulder .002. I found that using the .006 shell holder allowed me to chamber a round pretty easily. Worked up a load with a 180 Berger bullet and H1000 powder and was off to the races. The gun was a shooter! Fast forward 11 years. I go to reload the shells for the 3rd time and in checking the first piece of sized brass in the gun, find that it takes a lot of pressure to close the bolt. So, I try the .oo8 shell holder and find that I am getting warping around the shoulder and they won't chamber. I'm not sure what's going on here, and more importantly, what I should do next. I obviously have a chamber near minimum spec size. I can't buy new brass right now and its ridiculously expensive. Will a custom die solve the issue, or do I need to have the chamber rebored with a different reamer? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Have you trimmed your necks back after firing.My guess is the necks have stretched significantly enough so shoulder bump can't compensate

Ok, too much misinformation being bandied about here.
Willis die ain't gonna fix the issue.
Here's what you do, if your die has an expander ball fitted, either remove it or screw it up so the recapping pin is just inside the die mouth.
Without adjusting the die, using the shortest shell holder, place a .005" feeler gauge under the case head. Size a case, clean the lube off and try to chamber it... if it chambers all good. If not, try a .008" feeler gauge, repeat and if it still won't chamber, try a .010" feeler gauge.
You need a new case each time for it to have merit, because the spring back will change if you use the same case each time.

Cheers.
P. S.
Get a normal RCBS shell holder and have .010" turned off the TOP of it, keep it with that die set.
You hit the nail on the head. I'm just now seeing this thread and your response is spot on as I've experienced this multiple times with the 270, 30-378 and the 257 over the past 35 years.

I wish there was enough accurate information on the problem to be able to help the OP find a legitimate solution. I appreciate reading people's experiences. Hopefully it will become clear what the original problem was.

Clean the chamber fully, THEN CAST THE CHAMBER !!! Cerrosafe is easiest , follow the instructions fully. This way you will know what chamber you have, how much throat , what length necks. Compare the fired rounds to it. Then anneal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.