Trouble necksizing 22-250

Preda8or

Just got my 8 twist shilen 22-250. I have been shooting 80gr a-max's and berger vld's with 36.8gr of h-4350, headspaced off dies and checked with a no go gage. I can full length then shoot, neck size is tight but it will chamber, shoot and neck size again and if I really wanted to I could chamber the round but it is very very difficult. It's not the neck being to big(tried the marker on the neck) and not the length (tried trimming) Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just got my 8 twist shilen 22-250. I have been shooting 80gr a-max's and berger vld's with 36.8gr of h-4350, headspaced off dies and checked with a no go gage. I can full length then shoot, neck size is tight but it will chamber, shoot and neck size again and if I really wanted to I could chamber the round but it is very very difficult. It's not the neck being to big(tried the marker on the neck) and not the length (tried trimming) Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't load that particular bullet, but It seems that the charge is a little high. You are having the shoulders of the cartidge stretching forward and hitting the shoulders of the chamber. I am having the same problem with my factory savage and I am going to start Partial full length resizing to aleave the problem. Or possibly simply full length resize.

22-250

After firing a round is the bolt lift take more effort? If so maybe a little less powder. As a side I had very good luck with anywhere from 37.5 - 40.0 grs. of H4831SC in a fast twist 22-250.
Take your magic marker and color a little bit of the case & shoulder area. Sometimes the junction of the case & shoulder will get a faint bulge which will cause high effort chambering.
Semper Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.