Tripod for packing?

Blacktail

I am looking for a good lightweight tripod. Any suggestions. I prefer to glass seated prone or kneeling. Dont stand much. Thanks.

After a ton of looking last year, I found one I really like. It is made by Leupold, here is a picture with me using it last year elk hunting. It packs down to 15" long and about as big around as a Coke can. You can use it from 14" to 32" height.

Donlooking.jpg

I bought it at Cabelas. I don't see it on their website - I bought it at the store. It is very functional in the field. I also use it at the range on the bench.

AJ

Last edited:
I've used Leupold's compact tripod for three years while guiding. The more I use it the less pleased I am with the quality. The extension tube collet has a lot of slack even when tight and the quick release base doesn't stay tight. It's constantly wiggling my spotting scope when it's windy. But this is Wyoming so when is it not windy? The ball head isn't very smooth either. A friend has K and K tripod I'm going to try for the season. I think it's a little heavy for what you want though(the K and K.)

I just weighed the K and K. Barely under 4lbs. Oh, and the Leupold weighs almost 2 3/4 lbs.

Last edited:
Don't laugh...:rolleyes: But I bought a small one from NC Star that folds down to about 12 or 14 " and I tried it with my new Swaro ATS 80 HD. This is a very cheap tripod to put under this scope. But I like it. Light, small and it has both fine tune knobs for windage and elevation. Those are great for dialing in on something. Pretty stable too. Worth every bit of the $25 it cost.

Jeff

a5bec006.jpg

This little rascal from Al Ewing over in Spokane is a pretty nice little scope stand for hunting. It comes with extra vertical tubes, so the height can be extended quite a bit if desired. Also has a spike in the base, which can be pressed into soft ground for additional stability. I've had it for several years and it continues to serve well.

Ewing's Scope Stands

Regards, Guy

Anybody here ever use Gitzo tripods, incredibly expensive but light and sturdy, I want to get the Gitzo Mountaineer to use with my 15x56's and my Nikon 80 when backpacking.

Mike

I just bought a Vortex from Doug at Cameraland. Inexpensive, good quality, light weight [2 1/4 lbs w/ head]. I havn't packed it in the field yet but am hunting third season colorado next week and will give it a workout.

Slik 613CF is IMO the best tripod for the money, get it with their smallest pan head and you got a light and stiff package that still telescops to 4ft. The package all together is 2.2 lbs

I have that Leupy Compact and have had for a long time, I hate the damm thing and am not wild about the Leupy spotter I have on it.

I also have a Gitso CF tripod with Manfrotto pan head and a Leica 62 Armoured 16-48 spotter and THAT is a setup, but, it costs a chunk of change.

I intend getting a lighter head than the Manfrotto and that is going to be that, can't do better than Leica.

Check out the Outdoorsmans line of tripods, everything seems to be machined out of good quality, light weight material and the fit and finish is quality craftmanship. There are many accessories available for them that make them the handiest tripod out there (imo)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.