Tripod for packing?

I finally replaced my Leupold tripod that came with the 12-40 spotter I've been using. The Leupold was truly a piece of crap. I tried the K and K but found it too heavy and the head was a pain to use for long periods of glassing. I bought the Benro C-068M8 and B-0 ball head. It weighs,with the ball head, just a touch over two pounds and the quality seem quite good. I think the Slik 613CF would have been an equal choice but I wanted to try something different. After I've used it for awhile I'll post an update. BTW, I also bought a Monfrotto 190CXPRO3 for those time when weight is not an issue.

bwhite said:

Check out the Outdoorsmans line of tripods, everything seems to be machined out of good quality, light weight material and the fit and finish is quality craftmanship. There are many accessories available for them that make them the handiest tripod out there (imo)

The LRH Gear Shop is now handling this line after I bought one and used it all last fall. Fantastic line of tripods. I have the Jim WHite head to go with my Outdoorsmans Tripod.

I'll be publishing a review article this month, but here is the LRH Gear Shop page.

I also am about to start offering a specific tripod from the Vanguard line. It sells for around $100 including a head that is very smooth for its price. More about this later.

Good move LEN, I have the tripod, for years, and the small pistol grip, also quick release and many bases, for multiple scope, window mount, and video camera mnt. Use to have 10x42 with bino stud, was very handy

I packed in with the Manfrotto this year, and could not have been happier. Incredibly versatile and easy to use, and very stable for the weight.

Anybody here ever use Gitzo tripods, incredibly expensive but light and sturdy, I want to get the Gitzo Mountaineer to use with my 15x56's and my Nikon 80 when backpacking.

Mike

That is what I use and I love the rock steady stability and high end quality

spotting.jpg

ATH, The sportsman is much lighter w/ same set up, ie pistol grip or acc. had both, also cam locks seam quicker

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.