Trigger will not reset to fire

Earnhardt

I building up loads for my 338 Edge.
No signs of pressure until I popped a small hole in a primer.
Now the Jewell Trigger on the gun will not reset.
How do I check for something broken that is not resetting the trigger?
Or can something break, or get jammed in the trigger when a primer blows?
Thanks, Josh

Had that happen to a Jewell in my 300 after a very much unexpected super hot load. Still not sure what happened with the load but it blew a hole in the primer, locked up the bolt, had to beat it open with a dead blow hammer and yup it junked the Jewell trigger. I had the rifle completely taken down and inspected by gun smith before firing another round. Only thing replaced was the trigger

There is a small part in a Jewell trigger that is prone to getting broken when you pierce a primer and get gas blow by. It's common with Jewells when the primer is pierced. The gas flowing out of the pierced primer causes the firing pin to blow back and it breaks the firing pin block.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take the trigger off and send it back to Jewell to have it fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys!
I removed the bolt and disassembled it.
There was a very small piece of primer inside of bolt housing area. I removed it.
everything else in the bolt/firing pin/spring area looks and "seems" ok.
But that trigger is locked up man.
I watched a YouTube video on a total teardown of a Jewell trigger, but my fingers working with those tiny parts, is not going to allow that to happen.
Ever heard the story about the monkey and the football?...Ya, that's me working with tiny parts...
I'll have to send it in.
Thanks again.

OK, I'll send the triger back to Jewell for repair.
Are there any "light trigger pull" aftermarket triggers that are not prone to breaking from a pierced primer?
Thanks

There is a small part in a Jewell trigger that is prone to getting broken when you pierce a primer and get gas blow by. It's common with Jewells when the primer is pierced. The gas flowing out of the pierced primer causes the firing pin to blow back and it breaks the firing pin block.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take the trigger off and send it back to Jewell to have it fixed.
Winner, winner chicken dinner!!

I
OK, I'll send the triger back to Jewell for repair.
Are there any "light trigger pull" aftermarket triggers that are not prone to breaking from a pierced primer?
Thanks

I installed one trigger tech for a customer and I'm not impressed whatsoever. The bolt stop sticks on the side of the trigger and it basically doesn't function.

I would go with Rifle Basix or Timney Calvin Elite before TT.

I would even probably put regular Timney ahead of TT.

I own virtually every brand of trigger except Tubbs, for many different makes, and I keep going back to Rifle Basix. Easy to adjust, WoP range right where I like it and they function great long term on both hunting and tactical rifles.

I've had both good and bad luck with Basix. However, if you have a problem, call the company and the owner will probably answer the phone. On my last trigger we couldn't get some "creep" out over the phone. After about 10 minutes the owner said. "wait a minute, we both have better things to do". "Give me your address and I'll send you another and I'll personally set it up". Three days later I had my new trigger! Can't beat that. Oh, it was perfect!

Just installed a trigger tech last night. Bolt release stuck at first, but per instructions I made a couple tweaks with needle nose and in a few minutes it was functioning perfectly. I don't have any issues with the minor fitting, kinda enjoy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.