Bullets too long for magazine and extention will not work

clark270

I was planning on rebarreling, should I have it brought in so the COAL is shorter? Or bad idea, just do what is suggested. Right now the longest shell I can use in the magazine is 3.80", but 4.15" shoots awesome.

For true long range shooting single feed is not a problem at all. One solution is to make up a load that fits in the magazine and shoots pretty close to your long range load and put them in the magazine under your long range load. Any second shot quick cycle shot off hand is going to be pretty short and anything you need to get set up for you should be able to single feed. If this is a general walking rifle that isn't going to be purpose built for long range then throat it to stay in the magazine. Jmo.

That's what I did this year I only used one shot per deer 5 deer so far with the gun. I have one long range bullet left and that's for a big 175" whitetail if I see him. I shoot deer for friends that don't hunt but like the meat.

I shoot a happy medium in my rifle for hunting. I would rather have 1.5 inch groups that I can cycle correctly then have to worry about jam ups. U would hate to see that trophy running away because u can't cycle ur rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.